Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

smbenson123
Returning Member

Section 179

Hello

I am entering the information for a new work vehicle we acquired in August of 2020 which we are leasing.

The Section 179 option isn't coming up for me to enter the information to take advantage of this tax saver.

Is there something wrong with TurboTax that it isn't populating, or am I missing something?  It is a truck over 6,000 lbs, and that's the option I've clicked.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Section 179

@smbenson123 wrote:

which we are leasing.

Section 179 is for assets that you purchase, not lease.

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Section 179

Please see this LINK for more information.

Buy or lease?

You can use the either the standard mileage or actual expenses method for a leased vehicle. However, if you use the standard mileage rate, you cannot switch to the actual expense method in a later year.

• If you use the standard mileage rate for a leased vehicle, the lease payment amount is not deductible.
    • If you use the actual expenses method, leased vehicles are not depreciated. Instead, the business portion of the lease payment is deducted.

smbenson123
Returning Member

Section 179

I'm reading on other places that that Section 179 can be used for leased vehicles as well.  Where might I find the actual rule?

Section 179

The actual rule is in Section 179 of the Tax Code.  The easier-to-read version is in IRS Publication 946:

What Property Qualifies?

To qualify for the section 179 deduction, your property must meet all the following requirements.

• It must be eligible property.

• It must be acquired for business use.

• It must have been acquired by purchase.

• It must not be property described later under What Property Does Not Qualify .

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p946#idm[phone number removed]952

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Section 179

Always go to the IRS. There is much unreliable information on the internet. I found two articles that said it was allowed. 

Section 179

The thing that confuses things is that some places call an Installment Sale a "lease".

In some cases some places call a situation where you make a monthly payment then have a "buyout" for $1, they call it a "lease".  But at least for tax purposes, that situation is NOT a lease, it is a purchase (which would qualify for Section 179).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies