Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

LMSeal
Returning Member

S-corp health insurance

I am trying to best determine how to handle my health insurance premiums.  I elected an S-corp for my LLC this year with my wife and I as Members; I am the only salaried employee.  My wife is non-employee member.  My wife is a school teacher with a qualified / subsidized health insurance plan on which she carries me as an insured.  Is there any way for the S-corp to reimburse my health insurance premium deducted from her paycheck?  I was looking at a QSEHRA, but sure enough I am not qualified.  There are roadblocks everywhere on the deduction or business expense if a spouse has a qualified plan available.  Any guidance would be appreciated.  My premium portion will be about $483 per month.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

S-corp health insurance

Is there any way for the S-corp to reimburse my health insurance premium deducted from her paycheck? 

You can but it will do nothing for you ...it is not a deduction on the S-Corp return nor an adjustment on  the personal return.  It will simply be part of the draws she makes during the year and reported in the books for basis in the company.  The profit on the 1120S for is passed thru to the members on the K-1 forms. 

S-corp health insurance

it is not an eligible S-Corp expense because the rule is that the policy must be in the name of the S-Corp or in the name of a shareholder-employee who must be reimbursed by the S-Corp.  she is not an employee and policy is not in here name - she is merely covered by it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies