Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How can I change my principal business code on Schedule C on TT Online? The current code is not valid on IRS's classification anymore and I need to change it .

@evakoko wrote:

I've tried 3 different browsers after clearing the cache and I still have the same issue.
Has anyone found a solution or workaround?

This is an old thread from last year.   If you don't get any suggestions in this old thread,  you may need to start your own new thread where you can explain your issue where it will show up as needing an answer, or you can phone Customer Support during business hours so they can question you and walk through the screens with you.

Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern), 7 days/week

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Or use this contact form:
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

How can I change my principal business code on Schedule C on TT Online? The current code is not valid on IRS's classification anymore and I need to change it .

FYI - this is still an issue with Turbotax online. I am not able to change my business code in the self-employed version

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

This is a not known issue, but we will continue to monitor the issue. Try refreshing your screen, then try clearing your browser's cache.

Then log out and log back into TurboTax. You can also try using a different browser.

The following help article will show you how to clear your cache and delete your cookies.      

This link will show you how to delete your cookies.  

This link will help you clear your cache.     

How to clear your cache - Community    

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Amre1

I have tried three different browsers, all cleared of cookies and other data. I still cannot correct my business code on Turbo Tax Online. There is NO edit option, no blue pencil or word "Edit."

How can I make this change?

Thanks in advance for your help.

@ Amre1 wrote:

I have tried three different browsers, all cleared of cookies and other data. I still cannot correct my business code on Turbo Tax Online. There is NO edit option, no blue pencil or word "Edit."

How can I make this change?

Thanks in advance for your help.

There "should'  be a blue "Edit" link, but for a very small number of people, it may not be, and I don't know why.  See this image:

businesscode.png

If you don't have the blue Edit link there, here's how to phone TurboTax Customer Support for assistance.

Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern) 7 days/week.

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Or use this contact form to get a phone number.
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

@Amre1 Please contact customer support here for further assistance so that we can take a look at what is going on to better assist you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@ Amre1 

Also try this.  Look at my image and get a good idea "where" the Edit link would normally be.  Then try hovering your mouse pointer over it and see if you can find an "invisible" link, and/or try clicking in that area.   Perhaps there is a hidden link there but the wording isn't.  It may take some trial and error, but see if hovering or clicking in the area where the blue Edit is in my image finds anything.

Did it help? I am struggling with updating business code on my end.. 

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Please don't get too wrapped up in changing/correcting your business code this is just extra info the IRS wants. It doesn't affect your return. The business code entry in TurboTax has no effect whatsoever on your tax calculation.  

If you want to update it, see the following screenshots  for aid in navigation. I was able to successfully edit my entry in TurboTax online Self-Employed.

I understand that it has no tax impact but I NEED to change for my 8A application to be complaint with requirements.   Turbobax online has no option to update.   CAN SOMEONE HELP???

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

There is an edit button under the set-up portion of the Schedule C.

In my online turbox tax  there is no edit button...i am told that i need to redo taxes using deluxe software i.e. download version. I need help fixing my online turbo view

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

The screen above is from the Online version. If you can't edit, you can delete the entire Schedule C and begin again.

Please help me understand how is that a good option i.e. deleting schedule C on which I spent most of the, if not all the, time in updating my taxes. I might as well start from scratch with another company if I have redo schedule C.

I fail to understand why cant someone from IT update business code from the backend i.e. the database or option B why cant IT duplicate and copy over the data for me to new schedule C. 

To avoid this I called/chatted with few agents prior to starting my 2020 tax return so dont have to go through this now and this can be taken care earlier. I was told this will be updated once i complete my tax return and when I am at that point I need to call back. Now, I am at that point - this is extremely frustrating and now i am being left on an island without any assistance. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies