Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I change my principal business code on Schedule C on TT Online? The current code is not valid on IRS's classification anymore and I need to change it .

I'd like to change it to 454110 (Electronic shopping and mail-order houses) but the current view on my screen  somehow shows 454111 which is non-existent on IRS's Principal Business or Professional Activity Codes. There is no edit button and I don't know how to correct it.
Thanks.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

35 Replies

How can I change my principal business code on Schedule C on TT Online? The current code is not valid on IRS's classification anymore and I need to change it .

Here's how to change the principal business activity code.

• Open your return, and in the top right click on SEARCH.
  • Enter Schedule C without quotes and click the blue magnifying glass icon (do not use the dropdown suggestions.)
  • Click on Jump to Schedule C.
  • You will arrive at the Summary screen for your business.   Click  the Review button there to open it back up.
  • On the Business Review screen scroll down to the section Tax Details.
  • You will see the business code, with a small blue pencil icon next to it.  Click that blue pencil icon to edit.

Hi, thank you for your quick response. However, on Turbotax Online version, after clicking the Review button on the Summary Screen, and then moving to the Tax Details option there is no edit button (blue pencil) next to the business code. The only edit button is next to it (method of accounting part) There is only question mark next to the Business Code part. Is there any other way to accomplish this? Thanks.

I'm using Online TurboTax and cannot reproduce your problem.   I have a little blue edit pencil next to my business code.   Business code and "method of accounting" each have their little blue pencil icon.

I don't know why you don't have the pencil icon.    This is a long shot, but it's something to try.  What if you click immediately to the right of the last digit, where the icon would normally be.  

I don't know of another way to get to it, short of deleting the business and re-entering it.

You may wish to phone TurboTax Support to see if they can figure out why your pencil edit icon is missing.

FAQ:  What is the TurboTax phone number?
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263</a>

That's weird. I tried your suggestion and tried the long shot, too. Didn't work. I guess I will call the phone support as you suggested since it doesn't make any sense not to have the edit button next to it. Thanks.

When you went through the interview the first time, did it ask you what kind of business and based on that, did it automatically chose your code and some typical deductions that that type of business might have?   If so, I'm wondering if that could have locked in the code.    Did you enter the code or did TurboTax?   Or did it transfer in from last year?

In any case, seems like it should have the pencil icon.  Good luck.
intatt

Same problem. No solution?

@selinin  Were you able to resolve this? If so, how?  Did you phone Customer Support?

@daylinlt  I still can't reproduce any problem.  However, it looks like the programmers have now replaced the pencil icon with an EDIT link.  If you don't have that Edit link or a pencil icon, I don't know why.   I'm able to edit the business code OK.    Use my link above to phone TurboTax Support if you don't get a response in this thread.
msmucker

I am having the same difficulty. There is no edit/pencil option.

I've reported this issue to TurboTax, and they are investigating the issue.
zimplu

same problem here, no clickable "edit" next to Business code under Tax details

It was supposed to have been resolved on 3/22 according to the FAQ below.  I'll tell a Moderator.

@TurboTaxMarianaC   Is this still a known issue?

@zimplu   A TurboTax Moderator replied and suggested that you clean out the browser as below and try again. If the problem continues, you may be contacted for screen shots.   What browser are you using?

Log out of TurboTax, and clear your browser's Internet cache, and delete any Intuit-related cookies.
Close the browser and reopen it.  Then try again.

Or try a different browser and see if the problem persists.

Thank you @epo39b for bringing this to our attention. @selinin @intatt @msmucker please read the following information and sign up for updates for when this issue gets resolved:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/7267292

evakoko

I've tried 3 different browsers after clearing the cache and I still have the same issue.
Has anyone found a solution or workaround?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies