turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why when Inputting my 1099-R for NY state income does it not save my inputs?

Why when Inputting my 1099-R for NY state income, a screen comes up asking "Where is this distribution from?". The default is "US Government (including military}. I check  the box New York State and Local Retirement System and go on. When I go back to it, it is checked "US Government" again. The same is true for the screen "Any periodic payments?" It comes up with No for periodic payments and I change it to Yes for periodic payments when I go back to that screen it is back to No.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

yeah...don't keep coming back.

The US Govt /Military selection, and the "New York State and Local Retirement System" selections are actually exactly the same thing to the underlying NY tax forms.  TTX just divided them up for people who insist on seeing them listed separately.  Both selections do the same thing. ...would be nice if the button selections "Kept" but they don't.

(there may be a couple of those NY pension settings that do vary..but the NY-totally-exempt ones don't)

The other selections you make are highly variable, and need to be reset when you re-"Edit"....because people commonly come back in to correct things, and sometimes the selection needs to be re-set so that the users can see every option in later screens.

Just don't return once you have them set correctly.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

2 Replies

yeah...don't keep coming back.

The US Govt /Military selection, and the "New York State and Local Retirement System" selections are actually exactly the same thing to the underlying NY tax forms.  TTX just divided them up for people who insist on seeing them listed separately.  Both selections do the same thing. ...would be nice if the button selections "Kept" but they don't.

(there may be a couple of those NY pension settings that do vary..but the NY-totally-exempt ones don't)

The other selections you make are highly variable, and need to be reset when you re-"Edit"....because people commonly come back in to correct things, and sometimes the selection needs to be re-set so that the users can see every option in later screens.

Just don't return once you have them set correctly.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
frankdella
Returning Member

Thank you for that explanation.  Except now when doing 2020 taxes for New York State it doesn't change the selection to US Govt/Military and doesn't exempt that income from State taxes as it did in the past.  I had to change my selection to US Govt/Military to have Turbotax treat this retirement income correctly.  Many won't notice this and will pay taxes on this income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies