turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why can't schedule 3 box 11 be zero to defer no income tax?

I tried putting zero in schedule 3 line 11 because I do not want to defer any income tax. Turbotax says that "Line 11 is too large" when I do so, but I would not think you can defer less than zero dollars. What amount should be in this box?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
PattiF
Expert Alumni

That number flows through from Schedule SE. 

Here is a way to change the number to zero while not in the Form mode:

In order to enter the amount of the self-employment tax payment that you would like to defer:

• Go to Deductions and Credits
  • Scroll to Tax relief related to COVID-19
  • Last item in this category is Self-employment tax deferral, Click Start
  • Do you want more time to pay self-employment taxes? Then Yes
  • Let's start by  getting your eligible income, calculated by tax software
  • Enter self-employment income earned from March 27 to the end of the year in the box
  • Continue
  • The next screen will display the amount eligible for deferral. Enter the amount that you wish to defer. If no deferral is desired, enter zero.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
stewiss
Returning Member

I followed the instructions and I selected Self-Employment Tax Deferral - It asks if either of use need more time to pay... I checked 'No'  and Continue - it returns 'It looks like you're not eligible for this deferral - since we are getting a refund this year - (that is true - we have a refund) - tells me to continue... I then go to Smart Check and it still comes back to Schedule 3, line 11 - which has zero but says the number is too large.  We do have a refund that is reflected on line 10 as a negative number and is the refund amount.

We do not want deferral - what do I need to do?  Why didn't it just take my 'No' to wanting a deferral?  When I go back to the selection of Self-Employment Tax Deferral and come through the process again - I have to re-check the No response to the question of whether either of us need more time.  Most other Yes/No entries are retained if I come back through that page or form.  Why doesn't this 'No'  stay in effect on a return to that page?

Also, instruction says that it should have come through a section asking for the March to December amounts.  Since I checked 'No' to wanting more time, I assume it by-passes this step???  I did fill those in manually on the Sch-SE T and Sch-SE S, but that did not change the Quick Review Error.  I even set them to zero in the Sch-SE forms and that did not change anything - still have the error.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Yes, the step needed is bypassed if initially the question is answered no. Answer yes.

It is doing this possibly because there was an amount entered in this area and then changed and it is hanging on to that.

Typically, leaving the not applicable section blank is preferred. However, in this case, your reply is required.

Since entering 0, did not work, try entering 280/365 of your income for 2020 in this line. This should still result in you being ineligible but satisfy the calculation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies