Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

WHEN DO I HAVE TO FILE?

Ive recently started a small business and I'm at the point where I have to get my resellers license so I can really get started. Ive been doing some research and I'm seeing that once I get this license I will immediately have to start reporting my taxes even if I haven't sold anything yet. With that being said, how do I know that dated that I have to file? I saw somewhere that since my business is LLC/sole proprietorship I can report my business tax with my personal taxes during normal tax season, but Ive also seem some say that they got their license and started to get penalty fees because they missed several dates that they needed to file on throughout the year. As far as reporting my taxes, which scenario would apply to my business?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

WHEN DO I HAVE TO FILE?

This sounds like a state issue, not federal. What state are you in?

If you don't get an answer here after posting your state, it's probably because no one in this forum is familiar with the business tax rules for your particular state. You will have to find another source. It would probably be a good idea in any case to consult a local tax professional who is familiar with the state rules for business taxes.

WHEN DO I HAVE TO FILE?

SALES taxes are usually filed monthly EVEN if you have no sales ... sounds like those are what were not filed timely.  INCOME tax returns are only filed once a year. 

WHEN DO I HAVE TO FILE?

Is your business a Single Member LLC?  Is it set up as a S corp or not?

WHEN DO I HAVE TO FILE?

Ok this makes sense.

WHEN DO I HAVE TO FILE?

I have a single member no s corp currently.

Carl
Level 15

WHEN DO I HAVE TO FILE?

I have to get my resellers license so I can really get started. Ive been doing some research and I'm seeing that once I get this license I will immediately have to start reporting my taxes even if I haven't sold anything yet.

That license you're referring to has nothing to do with income tax. It has everything to do with sales tax, which is a physically separate issue between you and your state, as well as any other lower level taxing authorities that may impose a sales tax.

Generally, a business will collect sales tax as a part of each and every sale of product or services subject to the tax. The business is required to keep detailed records of every single transaction showing the amount of sales tax collected for each transaction. Then the business is required to forward the amount of tax collected to the taxing authority (or authorities) that impose the tax. You may be required to send in the sales tax collected quarterly, or even monthly.

For example, if your state taxes all sales at 5% and your city taxes all sales as 1%, then you will be required to collect a 6% sales tax on all transactions subject to the tax. Then you will have to send the state their 5% and the city their 1% on a periodic basis - usually monthly. Failure to pay in a timely manner or failure to pay the correct amount can (and usually does) result in a penalty of some sort being assessed by the taxing authority.

But again, this has absolutely nothing to do with income tax, and TurboTax does not get involved or deal with this in any way, shape, form or fashion.

You need to talk with your local and state taxing authorities for details, or better yet seek professional help from a business professional or business lawyer of some type. I would not expect an income tax professional of any type to be able to help you much with this.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies