Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What do I put in "Gains attributable to income" field in my irrevocable trust return?

I am the trustee of a trust that allows me to assign capital gains to be taxed at the beneficiaries, let them be taxed in the trust, or allow a combination of the two at my discretion. This year I would like to allocate a portion of the total capital gains to the beneficiaries. If the trust's total long term capital gains is $50K and I want to allocate $20K of that to the beneficiaries, what values do I put in the fields "Allocation of Long-Term Gain - Total Long-term gain" and "Enter Gains Attributable to Income - Capital Gains Attributable to income"? Would it be $20K and $20K? This is part of a strategy to minimize taxes from the trust and personal returns combined.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What do I put in "Gains attributable to income" field in my irrevocable trust return?

@davidsgibson wrote:

...I want to allocate $20K of that to the beneficiaries, what values do I put in the fields "Allocation of Long-Term Gain - Total Long-term gain" and "Enter Gains Attributable to Income - Capital Gains Attributable to income"? Would it be $20K and $20K? 

That is correct; $20,000 and $20,000 for both fields if you want to allocate and distribute that amount to your beneficiaries.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

@davidsgibson wrote:

...I want to allocate $20K of that to the beneficiaries, what values do I put in the fields "Allocation of Long-Term Gain - Total Long-term gain" and "Enter Gains Attributable to Income - Capital Gains Attributable to income"? Would it be $20K and $20K? 

That is correct; $20,000 and $20,000 for both fields if you want to allocate and distribute that amount to your beneficiaries.

Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies