turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dms1488

Sole Proprietor to LLC Single Member Questions

I have been a sole proprieter the last couple years. I now am a single member LLC but I also have a part time job 24.5 hrs per week.

I have some questions here.

1.How will my taxes be different now?

2. Do I need to file quarterly taxes?

3. If I reinvest 100% of my profit back into my business which is my plan, how do I report that on my taxes so they know I'm not taking in that as income/profit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

1. Your single-member LLC is a disregarded entity for tax purposes. So there is no change in tax reporting as you still report your LLC's income and expenses on Schedule C of your personal return.

2. If you expect net income (profit) from your LLC, you should pay quarterly estimated taxes. Please read this TurboTax article for more information.

3. If you do not withdraw profits from your LLC, there is no specific requirement to report that fact on your tax return. You still have to pay income tax and self-employment tax on the net profit of your LLC whether you withdraw it or reinvest it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

FYI ... be careful in your record keeping ... the business should have it's own bank account and any money you put into the business from your personal funds is NOT considered income to the business ... keep good records of any "funding" you put in  just in case you are audited and have to prove the deposits were not  income to the business ... keep a paper trail of some kind. 

dms1488

Thank you!! This helps tremendously.

dms1488

Definitely I keep my LLC and personal separate. Its own bank etc. and all records from purchases, sales, deductions etc. But thank you.

dms1488

Last question.. I always do my taxes at the end of the year with turbo tax so

1. Can I use turbo tax for quarterly taxes?

2. Do I have to pay for turbo tax each quarter now?

3. What do I need to do if I'm doing quarterly taxes, do I need a special version of turbo tax?

Unless your Single Member LLC is signed up as an S corp then nothing has changed for you.  You still file it on Schedule C in your personal 1040 tax return.  The quarterly taxes are just estimated payments you send in instead of withholding like from your job paychecks.  Weren't you sending them in before?

Turbo Tax will calculate the 1040ES estimated payments

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-payments/help/can-turbotax-calculate-next-year-s-federal-estim...

You must make quarterly estimated tax payments for the current tax year if both of the following apply:

- 1. You expect to owe at least $1,000 in tax for the current tax year, after subtracting your withholding and credits.

- 2. You expect your withholding and credits to be less than the smaller of:

90% of the tax to be shown on your current year’s tax return, or

100% of the tax shown on your prior year’s tax return. (Your prior year tax return must cover all 12 months).

Here are the blank Estimates and instructions…..

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040es.pdf

dms1488

Thanks and no I wasn't making estimated tax payments I would just pay at the end of the year out my my taxes since I worked a regular job too  and my wife works full time and paid any difference 

If you make a lot on your business income you might consider sending in extra during the year so you don't end up owing too much on your tax return.  If you do owe a lot there is an underpayment Penalty for not paying enough during the year.  You can also increase your job withholding to cover the business income instead of sending in extra.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies