turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

johna1182
Returning Member

Sec 469 grouping strategy feedback requested

Was hoping to get feedback from the discussion group on my idea of how to handle grouping an operating business with a building that is being purchased to rent space to the business under Sec 1.469-4.

The operating business is an LLC, but files as an S Corp election and so completes a form 1120-S every year.

The building is being purchased in 2022 to then rent the space to the business.  Building will be set up as an LLC but with no S Corp filing election.

I believe this will meet the requirements to group the two activities under 1.469-4.  I have researched those requirements.

Here's where I'm not quite sure:

-Can the P&L for the new building LLC just be added/grouped to the results of the operating business within the 1120-S form?   I think this would be the case.  I would also check box J of form 1120-S identifying results are grouped and attach a letter for the IRS with information about the grouping.

-Is the fact that the building LLC is not an S Corp election a problem (grouping an S Corp election entity and a non S Corp election entity)?  

I would appreciate any constructive feedback!  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Does the grouping comply with Section 1.469-4(d)(1)(i)?

Typically, rental activities cannot be grouped with trade or business activities.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Does the grouping comply with Section 1.469-4(d)(1)(i)?

Typically, rental activities cannot be grouped with trade or business activities.

johna1182
Returning Member

Thank you for your comments.  I believe the grouping meets the requirements of Sec 1.469-4(d)(1)(i).  That part I researched.  Here's an article I found about the strategy also.  

https://costsegregationservices.com/grouping-a-rental-activity-with-a-business-activity/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies