turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Liquidating equipment

I am retiring and winding down my professional service S corp, will probably fold it in 2022.  I sold about 20 pieces of test equipment in 2021, mostly on eBay.  TT for Business is trying to take me through listing each and every asset, including when it was put in service.  I don't have time for this.  Some things were sold in batches for a single price, and trying to find the dates of first service for all this would be excruciating.  The total proceeds are not worth the trouble.  Is there a way I can simply list the assets as a lump and pay capital gain tax on the sum, or something similar?  I don't need the absolute minimum tax exposure.  Thanks for any help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Liquidating equipment

It would not be a capital gain or loss but an ordinary gain or loss. For the equipment that was depreciated, the amount of depreciation claimed in previous years need to be recaptured. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Liquidating equipment

It depends.  If you been depreciating these assets in past tax returns, then you will need to dispose each asset individually.  The IRS has a record of these assets (if you have a history of depreciating them). If you haven't depreciated your test equipment, then you can report these as a lump sum payment but keep in mind, this could trigger an audit unless the proceeds are so low enough to where these won't raise a red flag. My suggestion is to depreciate these individually and then use you best guess regarding dates and what you paid for them.

Liquidating equipment

Thanks for the quick reply, Dave.  All the equipment was either expensed or has depreciated completely.  Would I report that as a capital gain, or income, or?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Liquidating equipment

It would not be a capital gain or loss but an ordinary gain or loss. For the equipment that was depreciated, the amount of depreciation claimed in previous years need to be recaptured. 

Liquidating equipment

I'll see if I can make that work.  Thanks for the help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies