Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Receipts for business expenses under $75.

@waltkihm 

Is there a good reason for your posting  to a thread that is more than 3 years old ?  

waltkihm
Returning Member

The issue is prevalent no matter how old the post is.

Auditors can be very arbitrary (in the past).

I haven't had a client audited in over 20 years.

I assume that most audits of personal returns report gross income of $M or more.

Don't make assumptions when you don't have all the facts. During the periods when I was audited, I was a struggling entrepreneur (bottom line income less than $10,000 per year). Not making a lot of money, living off savings, selling almost everything I owned to pay my bills. I had documentation for everything and kept detailed records of all transactions. I have no idea why they kept singling me out. The first two times I was audited (and I had representation all 3 times), the IRS auditor looked at all the documentation and returned a "verdict" of "no findings". But the 3rd time, the IRS auditor chose to deny a number of deductions (that had previously been approved in earlier audits). My representative told me that as these were a matter of opinion and as I was still struggling to make money (after several years), I would very likely lose if I appealed and that I risked having my business declared a hobby (even though I had no other means of support). So I was advised to pay the IRS and move on - particularly because I had no money or time to go through an appeals process. The total amount I had to pay was under $8,000. And I had to empty my Roth IRA to do it. To assume that the IRS only audits high income individuals is incorrect. The IRS audits anyone they want to - regardless of their net worth.

waltkihm
Returning Member

I used the word "Assume" in the 1st several words of my reply.

You seem to have an abrasive personality...

The author of the books that I suggested searching for (I assume, once again, that I can't use his name) speaks to the 3rd audit on the same issue.

The IRS has a knack of auditing folks when they are down.

Returns are selected for audit per the DIF score.  I have never heard the parameters of the DIF score discussed; it may be the only secret that our country has.  This community could talk for days & weeks on the possibilities of various line items on our 1040s that may tip the scales for an audit.

Good luck.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies