turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I have a loss from my s-corporation from last year that was well beyond what I could claim, I have a schedule E can I carry that difference forward to this year?

I do have basis.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
WKins2
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I have a loss from my s-corporation from last year that was well beyond what I could claim, I have a schedule E can I carry that difference forward to this year?

Yes. What you are referring to is a Net Operating Loss (NOL). When an S Corporation has a loss, that loss is reported on the shareholders' personal tax return on Schedule E and that loss can be used to offset other income. If the loss is so large that there is a remaining amount after the offset of your other income, that creates an NOL which can be carried forward. Note that the NOL can only offset 80% of your income (determined without regard to the deduction) and any remaining amount would continue to be carried forward indefinitely.

On your tax return, list your NOL deduction as a negative figure on the "Other income" line of Schedule 1 of Form 1040. 

For more information on Net Operating Losses, please see Publication 546

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The other issue that was not discussed, was whether or not you even had sufficient basis to take the loss.

Hopefully you are maintaining a basis schedule of your investment in the S corporation.  This is key since it determines allowable loss and will also be needed when you sell or liquidate the S corporation.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies