Re: I have a loss from my s-corporation from last ...
Expert Alumni

Business & farm

Yes. What you are referring to is a Net Operating Loss (NOL). When an S Corporation has a loss, that loss is reported on the shareholders' personal tax return on Schedule E and that loss can be used to offset other income. If the loss is so large that there is a remaining amount after the offset of your other income, that creates an NOL which can be carried forward. Note that the NOL can only offset 80% of your income (determined without regard to the deduction) and any remaining amount would continue to be carried forward indefinitely.


On your tax return, list your NOL deduction as a negative figure on the "Other income" line of Schedule 1 of Form 1040. 


For more information on Net Operating Losses, please see Publication 546



**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
This widget could not be displayed.
Privacy Settings