Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had excess SS withholding due to two employers/same payroll service/same EIN. How do I enter Schedule 3 line 11 information (Excess SS)?

IRS told me I have to file 1040-X and Schedule 3.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had excess SS withholding due to two employers/same payroll service/same EIN. How do I enter Schedule 3 line 11 information (Excess SS)?

just an FYI.  some employers turn the entire payroll function over to a company and it becomes the company which under the law is required to issue the W-2's and file the payroll tax returns using its EIN.  This is an issue TT can't handle because to TT is looks like AN employer over withheld and such a refund can only come from the employer.  This issue has been reported multiple times on this forum

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Since both employers used the same payroll service and they used the same ein you cannot fix this on the tax return which is why the excess was not recognized automatically.  Talk to the payroll company and see if one or both of the EIN numbers can be corrected.  If they cannot (or will not)  then your ONLY option is to file file a claim for refund using Form 843, Claim for Refund and Request for Abatement.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I already filed form 843 with the IRS and received a letter (6 months later) informing me that I have to fill out a 1040-X and Schedule 3.   It is possible to do this electronically in theory, however TurboTax won't let me fill out Schedule 3, line 11 as directed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

just an FYI.  some employers turn the entire payroll function over to a company and it becomes the company which under the law is required to issue the W-2's and file the payroll tax returns using its EIN.  This is an issue TT can't handle because to TT is looks like AN employer over withheld and such a refund can only come from the employer.  This issue has been reported multiple times on this forum

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would argue that it is a bug, not a feature.  

Since this is on a 1040X where you must mail in the return with the actual  W-2 forms as proof ... to get the TT program to work correctly simply change one of the EIN numbers on one of the W-2 forms since it will not matter ... just change the last number so it looks like 2 employers to the program  to generate the Sch 3.

The same EIN indicates it was ONE employer, even if they did reorganize.  I think your employer needs to correct what seems like their mistake.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies