turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I didn’t recieve a stimulus check

How can I get my tax rate from 2019
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DanaB27
Employee Tax Expert

If you did not receive the stimulus payment then you might be eligible to claim the Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 tax return. This Credit is calculated based on your 2020 tax situation. You do not need your 2019 tax rate.

To be eligible you need to be a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien in 2020 and have a Social Security number that is valid for employment.

You cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else to be eligible. 

Your credit amount will be reduced if your adjusted gross income (AGI) is more than: 

• $150,000 if married and filing a joint return or filing as a qualifying widow or widower
  • $112,500 if filing as head of household or
  • $75,000 for eligible individuals filing as a single or as married filing separately.  

Your payment will be reduced by 5% of the amount by which your AGI exceeds the applicable threshold above. (IRS FAQ Recovery Rebate Credit )

To claim the credit in TurboTax, please follow these steps:

1. Log into TurboTax.
  2. After entering all your information click "Federal Review" at the top of your screen. 
  3. On the screen "Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount" click "Continue".
  4. You will be asked about the amounts of first round and second round stimulus payments you received.  If you did not receive a payment enter "0".
  5. TurboTax will then calculate the amount of stimulus payment remaining that you are still entitled to get. 
  6. Any stimulus amount remaining due to you will show as a credit on line 30 of the 1040.

For additional information please see Stimulus FAQ at the end of the TurboTax article.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
RPK1
Returning Member

Hello Dana

According to my research, the applicable standard AGI for determining eligibility to receive the stimulus checks from the government is 2019 (or 2018 if you did not file for 2019).  Instead, the current TT program seems to be using the AGI figure for 2020.  this doesn't make sense, since the payment was supposed to have been made during 2020, actually fairly early in 2020, well before anyone knew what his AGI for 2020 would be.  So, if you did not receive the first one (as I did not), it seems to me you ought to evaluate your eligibility based on the 2019 number.  In my case, that was only $163.7K, (filing jointly), so I ought to be able to claim appx. 1700 (compare the gross $2400).  Please review and confirm that use of 2019 AGI is correct.

thanks.

RPK1

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

The payments were an advance credit for 2020.  2018 and 2019 information was used in sending out the payments since 2020 tax returns had not been filed at the point the stimulus payments were sent out.  They are being reconciled when you do your 2020 return.  In some cases, people may have been given a stimulus payment based on their 2019 income that did not qualify based on their 2020 income, and vice versa. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies