turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a sole proprietor filing my business income on schedule C. I need to report payments to independent contractors for service. where is the 1099nec?

I am a self employed attorney. I contracted with a paralegal and web tech as independent contractors, both paid more than $600. How can I prepare the 1099NEC through turbotax self employed?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I am a sole proprietor filing my business income on schedule C. I need to report payments to independent contractors for service. where is the 1099nec?

You need to give a 1099 NEC or 1099 Misc to anyone you paid $600 or more to for the year. But not to corporations or for merchandise. You send the IRS a copy of the 1099Misc with the transmittal summary form 1096. These are due to the person by Jan 31 and to the IRS by Jan 31.

To prepare W2s or 1099NEC or 1099MISC you need to use the Online Self Employed version or buy the Desktop CD/Download Home & Business program or the separate Turbo Tax Business program.

How to prepare 1099NEC 1099Misc & W2
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/how-do-i-create-w-2-and-1099-forms-in-turbotax/00/25869

As a follow-up, I just want to make sure you are comfortable with the position that the paralegal is in fact an independent contractor and not an employee.

This is a facts and circumstances area.  Some items to look at:

• take a look at Rev Rul 87-41; old but still used 
  • the key and main focus is do you have the right to direct and control
  • you can also look at Pub 15-A

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.

Thank you for your info. The paralegal is definitely an independent contractor. He lives in another state and has his own LLC that provides paralegal support to attorneys on a per project basis. I have no direction over his hours, days, how he does the work. I have hired him to provide support services solely on two complex cases and we have a contract.

Perfect.  The clarification helps.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies