Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sudami

I am a small business owner who always files a schedule C. Can I take the general personal deduction as well as an itemized business deduction on my taxes? sdm

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

I am a small business owner who always files a schedule C. Can I take the general personal deduction as well as an itemized business deduction on my taxes? sdm

The business deductions you take on your Schedule C are completely unrelated to your personal deduction (aka Standard Deduction).

In addition to deducting your business expenses on Schedule C, you also choose between taking the Standard Deduction or Itemizing your Deductions on Schedule A.  

Beginning on your 2018 Tax Return, the Standard Deduction has been increased to the following amounts based on your filing status:

• Single/Married File Separate- $12,000
  • Head of Household- $18,000
  • Married Filing Joint- $24,000

Because of these increased Standard Deduction amounts, many taxpayers who are used to Itemizing their Deductions on Schedule A will no longer need to do so because the Standard Deduction is higher than their Itemized Deductions.

Carl
Level 15

Business expenses claimed on SCH C have nothing to do with and no relationship to the deductions and credits you claim elsewhere, such as itemized deductions on SCH A. You can not claim business deductions on SCH A, and you can not claim non-business personal deductions on SCH C.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies