turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dkh1
Level 2

How to report Bitcoin payments to a C Corp?

My C Corp started to accept Bitcoin in 2020 for some digital products we sell.  We did a small number of transactions that amounted to a few hundred dollars.  We never converted it to USD and it is still just sitting in the wallet.  With the current rise in Bitcoin it has also appreciated. 

I understand that Bitcoin is viewed as an asset, not currency, and I get the rules for reporting for individuals but I'm less clear on how these Bitcoin transactions and the account itself gets reported for a C Corp.  I'm hoping someone can explain what needs to be reported, what gets taxed and when.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Every time you receive a bitcoin payment for a product or service, you report that as income using the US$ exchange rate at the time.  It’s no different than accepting payment in barter or in a foreign currency. You report the revenue at the days US exchange rate.

Then, if you make payments from your cryptocurrency wallet for “ordinary and necessary business expenses“, you can deduct the business expenses at the day’s exchange rate in US$.  

Whenever you sell the cryptocurrency or convert it to US dollars, you report a capital gain.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Every time you receive a bitcoin payment for a product or service, you report that as income using the US$ exchange rate at the time.  It’s no different than accepting payment in barter or in a foreign currency. You report the revenue at the days US exchange rate.

Then, if you make payments from your cryptocurrency wallet for “ordinary and necessary business expenses“, you can deduct the business expenses at the day’s exchange rate in US$.  

Whenever you sell the cryptocurrency or convert it to US dollars, you report a capital gain.

DJS
Alumni
Alumni

You may find this IRS guidance helpful: 

A11.  The amount of income you must recognize is the fair market value of the virtual currency, in U.S. dollars, when received.  In an on-chain transaction you receive the virtual currency on the date and at the time the transaction is recorded on the distributed ledger.

This is taken from the following IRS site: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/frequently-asked-questions-on-virtual-curren... 

Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.
**If this post is helpful please click on "thumbs up"**

The following is another resource.

https://www.irs.gov/irb/2014-16_IRB#NOT-2014-21

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies