turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to get 1099-B transactions to not round to nearest dollar? Only the totals going to Schedule D should be rounded, not individual transactions.

This has worked correctly for the previous decade with TurboTax, but appears to be rounding individual transactions this year, which results in incorrect totals.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

How to get 1099-B transactions to not round to nearest dollar? Only the totals going to Schedule D should be rounded, not individual transactions.

This is definitely something that TT needs to address. It certainly did not do this last year, or any previous year that I could find. There is a larger thread discussing this issue as well here - 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/retirement/discussion/re-do-turbotax-rounded-1099-b-input-entries-...

Any update from the TT team on this issue. It effects both online and desktop versions of TT. This is a serious issue!

No update. I have used the TurboTax Online software for about 10 years, and this is the first year that it has this new DEFECT. I came across this at another tax preparer years ago, so I immediately switched to TurboTax and have used them since. In fact, I have been recommending TurboTax to my friends and relatives for 10 years, specifically because the stock transactions are only rounded after summing, so the the 1099-B totals match what has been sent to IRS.

In the past, I had read that if your 1099-B totals did not match your Schedule D totals (within the dollar rounding), you were supposed to attach an explanation to your tax return showing why the numbers do not match. I do not believe that the IRS will accept a $25 difference due to rounding (number from the year I switched to TurboTax).

If it shows $25 extra, I do not want to pay tax on $25 that I did not make. If it is short $25, the IRS can later come back and ask for the tax on $25, plus interest and penalties.

Sure would be nice to hear from the TT team on this. The silence is deafening.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies