turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

langdon3

How to add qualified contributions note in Schedule A line 11

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies

you can't. why do you think you need a note? since the note is non-standard you would have to paper-file and then hope the clerk entering your return didn't just toss it because it's not standard.

langdon3

Per Schedule A instructions for line 11: "Include any contributions that you elect to treat as qualified contributions in the total amount reported on line 11. Indicate the election by also entering the amount of your qualified contributions on the dotted line next to the line 11 entry space.”  TurboTax did not add that note and I do not see how to get it added.  Now the IRS is asking for more money....

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

TurboTax makes the qualified contributions entry on Schedule A line 11 if you made cash donations exceeding 60% of your AGI and you select "100%/50% Charity" on the Donation Limits screen. See the screen shot below.

But if you filed your tax return without the election, your deduction on Schedule A line 14 would have been limited to 60% of your AGI and the IRS would not be telling you that you have to pay more tax. There must be something else going on that you haven't mentioned. Did the IRS notice make any other changes to your tax return, particularly anything that resulted in reducing your AGI? Did the IRS adjust your tax return for the unemployment exclusion? That adjustment would reduce your AGI.

What is the notice number or letter number, starting with CP or LTR, at the top right on the IRS notice?

Is the IRS notice for 2020 or for an earlier year?

Since you have already received an IRS notice, you will have to respond to the notice. You will not need to update Schedule A unless the IRS notice asks for a revised Schedule A or an amended return.

Donation Limits.png

langdon3

This is for my 2020 tax year, the notice number is CP11, I originally replied on May 8th, the IRS has not replied back but has sent 2 collection notices, I was given a second 9 week hold ("stay up") today.  The accounts management agent on the phone today said that I needed to submit an amended return. 

Per “2020 Instructions for Schedule A” line 11 (page 12)

“Qualified contributions are not subject to a limitation based on a percentage of adjusted gross income; however, certain limits may apply if your qualified contributions are more than the amount on Form 1040 or 1040-SR, line 11, minus all other allowable contributions. For details, see Pub. 526.

Include any contributions that you elect to treat as qualified contributions in the total amount reported on line 11. Indicate the election by also entering the amount of your qualified contributions on the dotted line next to the line 11 entry space.”

My contributions are all qualified but a note for this was not entered on Line 11 so the IRS refigured my taxes and limited my deduction.  Recalculating my taxes while limiting my deductions and no other changes comes up with the IRS calculated taxes.

"

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You seem to be saying that TurboTax allowed the full deduction amount, but did not insert the qualified contributions note on Schedule A line 11. I don't know why it would do that. It works correctly when I try it. You might want to call TurboTax support and see if they can help. To call support go to the following link to get a phone number during the hours that support is open.

Contact us

It's not clear how you will be submitting the amended return. If you will be sending it in reply to the notice, that means you would be sending it on paper. In that case, you could just write in the note by hand on Schedule A after it is printed.

langdon3

Your reply came in as I was talking with TurboTax Support.  They could not find a way to get the note on to my Schedule A line 11 so I will be printing the amended return and hand writing the note then filing via the Post Office.

Got2golf
Returning Member

I have been going through the same process with the IRS.  My accountant did not include a note.  The IRS reduced my Charitable contributions to 60% of AGI.  We are still working the dispute although there has been no mention of an amended return only reversal of their change.

Can you tell me what you entered for a note on dotted lines next to Line 11 input box?

Thanks

Paul

langdon3

"Can you tell me what you entered for a note on dotted lines next to Line 11 input box?"

That all the amount is considered qualified contributions.  Do not take this as the solution, the IRS has still not processed my letter that I sent them in May so I do not know what the final outcome will be.

Thanks.  That’s what I think.  Just enter the total cash contributions that are considered qualified.   

do you know where TT 2021 is getting the number that it puts in?  

Twm1123

The note saying “Qualified Contribution Elected” appears, as it should.  But there’s a number on the dotted line, for which I can find no source.  I also can’t delete it.  I need to know what it is and how it was computed.

Twm1123

In previous post, I forgot to say the number on the dotted line is much less than the line 11 entry itself.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

In viewing the Schedule A Instructions under Qualified contributions, it mentions qualifying contributions and then it mentions "Include any contributions that you elect to treat as qualified contributions in the total amount reported on line 11. Indicate the election by also entering the amount of your qualified contributions on the dotted line next to the line 11 entry space".

The only thing that comes to mind is if you elected to take a 100%/50% deduction limit instead of the standard 60%/50% limit, Did you make this election?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Twm1123

Thanks.  I did make the election, and the entry in Line 11 is correct.  I since figured out that the amount entered to the left on the dotted line is the additional deductible amount (100% - 60%) attributable to the election.  I thought of "qualified contributions" as having a different meaning, but in this case Turbo Tax apparently deems it to mean "qualified" under the terms of this special election.

Got2golf
Returning Member

We did take the 100/50 deduction.  We had carryover for all of the 30%, small carryover of cash for the 60% and virtually nothing of the 50% type.  Then we had enough giving to cover to 100%.  Essentially 70% in cash.  I have read and re-read the instructions.  To me the number of the dotted line should be all new cash contributions.  Thats not what TT puts on the dotted line.  See above.  I am still trying to get a clear answer since I am still trying to get the IRS to deal with this issue from 2020.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies