Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How can I change my principal business code on Schedule C on TT Online? The current code is not valid on IRS's classification anymore and I need to change it .

@ ali4u11 wrote:

this is extremely frustrating and now i am being left on an island without any assistance. 

What browser are you using?   Do you have a different browser to try to see if it makes any difference?   It may or may not, but sometimes browsers are quirky and another one might display the page a bit differently in regards to the links, etc.

nony
Level 1

How can I change my principal business code on Schedule C on TT Online? The current code is not valid on IRS's classification anymore and I need to change it .

HERE IS THE SOLUTION for changing your Business code while using TURBOTAX ONLINE:

1. Go to the NACIS website and search for the keywords to your type of business
  2. Once you find your code copy its NAICS Title as it appears on the website
  3. On Turbotax Online while editing Wages and Income in the Self-Employed/Business Section click to edit the General Info >>> Work Description
  4. You'll see the "Tell us the type of self-employment work you do..." in the text box PASTE the NAICS Title that corresponds to your Business Type.  Ex. I work in...  Other Accounting Services (NACIS CODE 541219)
  5. Click continue and once your back in the Wage and Income overview confirm your code has been updated.

TrentXYZ
Returning Member

Sorry, but this does not work. This problem is STILL happening in March 2023. There is NO edit button for the business code, work description, or work industry. The business code IS important because it is passed through to my state return which is being REJECTED because the generic code of "999000" is invalid.

EDIT: I just deleted the whole Schedule C section and started over. As another detail: the Schedule C was carried over from last year. Maybe that is why certain parts can't be edited? 

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see this Turbo Tax help article for more information.
What is the Business Code used for?
You can also see the information and diagram listed in this thread. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
user55899

thank you

: - )

In April 2023 this is still an issue. I have no edit button for the business code. I was trying to enter 458310. I copied the exact name of the NAIC description (Jewelry retailers)  into the work description field and it still shows the default business code of 999000. I cleared all cookies and cache. I talked to the TurboTax representative, who suggested I try incognito mode in Chrome. None of these worked. I was getting an error for the federal return, with the only option to print the return and file via snail mail. You can bypass the step at the end of the filing process of checking over the return and simply file it. I did that and it worked. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies