turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filling out schedule 8812

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

What is your question?

Im stuck on filling out number 6 ( earned income). . . Im confused as to where to find the answer.

RobertG
Expert Alumni

Here is a link to the instructions for Form 8812.

There is a table on page 3 that tells you what to enter on line 6a.

2019 Instructions for Schedule 8812

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Can I fill out my schedule 8812 on here or what do i have to do to fill it out 

MK2975
Returning Member

How do l add it on after l already filed taxes for 2020

MK2975
Returning Member

Can l efile this form

The form 8812 is filled in automatically when you have qualifying dependents listed on the return and you don't use up all the CTC to start with.  It efiles with the rest of the return. 

@MK2975 Up near the top of your Form 1040 do you see a check mark for the child tax credit for your child? 

Or is there a check for the credit for other dependents?   

Look at Line 19 of  your Form 1040.    Look at line 28 of your Form 1040.   Is there an amount there?

No, you cannot e-file the child tax credit form in isolation.  In fact, e-filing is closed so you cannot e-file anything right now.   If you were eligible to get the additional child tax credit it would be on line 28 of your tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

hi i dont see any number in line 19 but i see number in line 28.do i need to file schedule 8812 or thats it for me to claim the remaining child tax credit? what should i do? Thanks for reply.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

@ezekialexzander The 8812 will be automatically added to your return if it is necessary.  

Thank you so much for your response.. One more thing?? Where we can find the total amount of refund including the child tax credit?? Can we see it they form 1040?and which part of it?

MayaD
Expert Alumni

Your refund is reported on form 1040 line 35a.

To preview your 1040 before filing:

1. Open or continue your return.
  2. Select Tax Tools in the left menu (if you don't see this, select the menu icon in the upper-left corner).
  3. With the Tax Tools menu open, you can then:
    • Preview your entire return: Select Print Center and then Print, Save, or Preview This Year's Return (you may be asked to register or pay first).
    • View only your 1040 form: Select Tools. Next, select View Tax Summary in the pop-up, then Preview my 1040 in the left menu.

How do I preview my TurboTax Online return before filing?

marbee
Returning Member

I did not use up all the CTC but the remaining $1500 I am still eligible for is not reflected on line 35a. Will that amount be updated later or did I somehow lose out on the remaining child tax credit? I file as head of household with an income below $50k.

The second half of the credit is on line 28  NOT line 35a.   It is added to your other credits and any withholding you have and is used to pay down your tax bill.  Once that is satisfied any excess  is refunded.  

Review your form 1040 lines 24 thru 35. 

You can peek at only  the Federal form 1040 and the summary of the state info by going here:

1) lower- Left side of the screen...click to the left side of the "Tax Tools" text selection.
2)  then select "Tools"
3) then select "View Tax Summary" from the pop-up
4) then back to the left-side and "Preview 1040"

Then hit the "Back" on the left side to get back to your tax entries.

To view your entire return using the online editions (including the state) before you file, you will need to pay for your online account.

To pay the TurboTax online account fees by credit card, without completing the 2021 return at this time, click on Tax Tools >>> Tools  and then Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.  On the next page, to pay by credit card, click Continue.  On the next screen it will ask if you want Audit Defense, if you do not want this option just click on the Continue button.  The next screen will ask for all your credit card information so you can pay for the account.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies