turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Computer Purchase

HI I purchased a new computer for business, its used in 2 businesses and personal, do I write off the computer based on % in both businesses for the current year? The amortized option has over 15 years and computers don't last that long, I typically upgrade every 4-5 years.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Computer Purchase

Computers are 5 year property. First, you will need to allocate the total cost to all activities that benefit from the asset. Then enter the allocated portion to each activity as is appropriate.

Computer Purchase

Computers are 5 year property not 15 year property.  

Assuming you made no other asset purchases you could deduct the computer purchase (also assuming the business use is more than 50% business or less than 50% personal use) as Section 179  expense. 

You may want to talk to a tax professional depending on the size of your 2 businesses.   

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Computer Purchase

You would have to prorate the usage between the two businesses and personal use. For example, you might use it 20% for one business, 30 percent for the other and % personal use. You can depreciate over 5 years 20% of the cost and 30% of the cost, but he 50% personal use is not an expense.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies