Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to claim money from exhusband's QDRO that I received this past year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

No, you do not need to file this as income because it  is a judicial order in the United States, entered as part of a property division in a divorce or legal separation that splits a retirement plan or pension plan by recognizing joint marital ownership interests in the plan.  It is not a taxable document thus doesn't need to be reported.

If you take distributions or cash out the plan, you will be issued a 1099-R, which is a taxable document. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

13 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

It depends on your circumstances and whether the benefits were paid to a child or other dependent, or if the benefits were paid to a spouse or former spouse. Going through the interview in TurboTax should capture the details.

Enter in the 1099-R as received.  

To identify yourself as an Alternate Payee Under QDRO, follow these steps, presuming this distribution is not from an IRA:

• From the left menu, select Federal
  • Select Other Tax Situations, the third tab from the left across the top
  • Scroll down to Additional Tax Payments
  • Extra Tax on Early Retirement Withdrawals select Start/Revisit
  • Let's see if we can reduce your early withdrawal penalty Click Continue
  • Identify the type of plan and click Continue
  • These Situations May Lower Your Tax Bill. Enter the amounts you used for any of the following: Enter the amount in Alternate Payee Under QDRO and Click Continue

Please see these resources for more details:

IRS 2019 Publication 504 Divorced or Separated Individuals page 19: Benefits paid under a QDRO to the plan participant's spouse or former spouse generally must be included in the spouse's or former spouse's income. 

IRS 2019 Publication 575 Pension and Annuity Income page 4 and page 30: Rollovers are tax free, in general.

IRS Retirement Topics- QDRO- Qualified Domestic Relations Order

Regarding the 10% penalty for early withdrawal:

IRC section 72(t)(2)(C) which states related to QDRO:

(t)10-percent additional tax on early distributions from qualified retirement plans

(1)Imposition of additional tax

If any taxpayer receives any amount from a qualified retirement plan (as defined in section 4974(c)), the taxpayer’s tax under this chapter for the taxable year in which such amount is received shall be increased by an amount equal to 10 percent of the portion of such amount which is includible in gross income.

(2) Subsection not to apply to certain distributions Except as provided in paragraphs (3) and (4), paragraph (1) shall not apply to any of the following distributions:

(C)Payments to alternate payees pursuant to qualified domestic relations orders

Any distribution to an alternate payee pursuant to a qualified domestic relations order (within the meaning of section 414(p)(1)).

(10)Determination of investment in the contract in the case of qualified domestic relations orders

Under regulations prescribed by the Secretary, in the case of a distribution or payment made to an alternate payee who is the spouse or former spouse of the participant pursuant to a qualified domestic relations order (as defined in section 414(p)), the investment in the contract as of the date prescribed in such regulations shall be allocated on a pro rata basis between the present value of such distribution or payment and the present value of all other benefits payable with respect to the participant to which such order relates.

Section 414(p)(1):

(B)Domestic relations order The term “domestic relations order” means any judgment, decree, or order (including approval of a property settlement agreement) which—

(i)

relates to the provision of child support, alimony payments, or marital property rights to a spouse, former spouse, child, or other dependent of a participant, and

(ii)

is made pursuant to a State domestic relations law (including a community property law).

TaxingQuestions
Returning Member

As part of a divorce settlement, I received a QDRO in the form of a separate 401k. Do I have to enter it as income? I haven't taken any distributions, and I was told that I only pay taxes on distributions or if I cash it out.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

No, you do not need to file this as income because it  is a judicial order in the United States, entered as part of a property division in a divorce or legal separation that splits a retirement plan or pension plan by recognizing joint marital ownership interests in the plan.  It is not a taxable document thus doesn't need to be reported.

If you take distributions or cash out the plan, you will be issued a 1099-R, which is a taxable document. 

TaxingQuestions
Returning Member

Thank you, DaveF1006! I've been scouring the IRS's 2020 Draft Pubs for hours trying to make sense of it all... What a relief.

I'd mark as Best Answer, but I'm new here and don't yet see where to do that...

This question isn't exactly my situation so I'm not sure if your answer is correct for me. Last year, I was awarded my share of my ex's pension by the court under Gilmore when he wasn't retiring. We have a QDRO where we get community property share of each other's pensions. I have already retired. He made some payments which came directly from him last year. Do I report these payments on my tax return? There is no 1099R or other document for documentation. 

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

No. You do not report it on your tax return until you receive distributions from your QDRO account created under your name. 

@baglady

He made some payments to who or for what and from what?  Did he give you alimony?  

He made payments to me as ordered by the court. They represented my share of his pension I would receive under the QDRO when he retired but before he retired. That’s what the Gilmore law is about. If the ex doesn’t retire, you’re entitled to collect your share but the ex pays you directly.

@baglady wrote:

He made payments to me as ordered by the court. They represented my share of his pension I would receive under the QDRO when he retired but before he retired. That’s what the Gilmore law is about. If the ex doesn’t retire, you’re entitled to collect your share but the ex pays you directly.

QDRO's are served on the plan administrator who is required to compute your share based on the plan rules and send the payment directly to you and issue a 1099-R in your name.

https://www.investopedia.com/personal-finance/whats-qdro/

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I understand what the QDRO is and how it works. My situation is when one party does not retire so that the other can get their QDRO-designated share of their pension. You can file under Gilmore to get your share that you would get if the party retired. They have to pay you directly. That is what I did. The court awarded me my share which required him to pay me directly until he retired. Then then plan takes over. I'm asking if I have to report the income I received from his payments to me. According to what I am being told from several people, it seems that I do not.

Gilmore appears to be California only.   You would need to ask a tax professional that knows CA law.    Unless you received a 1099-R there would be no federal tax on you, but the spouse that took the distribution would have to pay the tax.    Whether he can pass that tax on to you depends on your court order that should have addressed the tax, but attorneys and judges often do not understand tax and tend to ignore it,

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I get a 1099r from my former spouses military retirement pay. I don’t know how to answer who gave me the 1099r or what kind of retirement plan is it is is qualified or non and how much was RMD? I’m 72 first time doing this and I can’t get this part snd it’s making me crazy’s. They deducted taxes on the 1099r already. I’ve been getting this pension for over 20 yrs now can you help

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Your 1099-R would be considered a 'Quailfied Plan'.

Indicate that all of the distribution was RMD (the plan assumes responsibility for this, so don't worry about it). 

Enter your 1099-R exactly as issued.

Click this link for more info on How to Enter 1099-R for QDRO. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies