turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Since Turbo Tax is not able to file the 8936 form for my electric car do you recommend that I have HR Block do my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

28 Replies

Since Turbo Tax is not able to file the 8936 form for my electric car do you recommend that I have HR Block do my taxes?

We appreciate your patience.  You will be able to use TurboTax to claim your Motor Vehicle Credit.

The IRS just released Form 8936, Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit yesterday.  This form is needed to claim the credit.  

We are working fast to get this update into the TurboTax software.  Form 8936 will be available by March 8, 2018.  This credit expired last year and Congress reinstated it again this month.  Click this TurboTax article Government Shutdown Averted and Tax Provisions Providing Tax Relief Passed to see if any other extended tax breaks apply to you.

The credit expired - really?   I thought Congress was merely considering eliminating the credit - but that did not happen in the final legislation.

Someone said that H&R Block already allows users to file their return with the 'Form 8936' credit.  Is this true?

Same issue this year. The form is available from the IRS but TT wont update until 2-7. HR Block is available now.
np3
Returning Member

is the form 8936 available for turbo taxbusiness
np3
Returning Member

i have been waiting for this and have been receiving new dates last i heard was 3/8/2019

Because of the EV tax credit form delay in March, 2018, TT delayed me filing until after a deadline for receiving an online TT rebate.  I complained to no avail - “sorry, that rebate is no longer available”.
np3
Returning Member

are you suggesting that you had to file an extension last year waiting for Turbotax to make the EV form 8936 available. Did you eventually file using Turbotax and and were you able to get  EV credit ?

Filed in March and got the tax credit.  I was referring to a rebate from TT, that I missed.

Is the 2019 Form 8936 available in Turbotax ?

I can't find.  pls help ?!

@harter7265 wrote:

Is the 2019 Form 8936 available in Turbotax ?

I can't find.  pls help ?!

Form 8936, Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit - estimated date available 02/12/2020

Until the form becomes available the Energy Efficient Vehicle tax credit section will not be available.

For an energy-efficient vehicle tax credit

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home & Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on
  • Scroll down to Cars and Other Things You Own
  • On Energy-Efficient Vehicles, click the start or update button

Or enter energy efficient vehicle in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to energy efficient vehicle

It's 2/12 and Turbotax still says form unavailable and it's not listed on the linked list of when forms will be available to Turbotax any more. Any idea what the problem is?

https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_windows_individual.htm...

someone said try again 2/14 per irs info

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Two forms that pertain to energy-efficient vehicles are:

• Form 8936, Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit
  • Form 8910, Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit 

These forms are currently scheduled for release February 20.   For current information on forms availability please click on this link:  Federal forms

Every new or updated tax form must pass several checkpoints before we can call it "final" in TurboTax. Here's how it works:

1. The government must approve the form to make sure it follows the tax law.
  2. The government then has to approve the tax software-specific version of that form.
  3. We then rigorously test the form in the software to ensure it's accurate.
  4. The government gives our form their final stamp of approval.
  5. We can then include it in the TurboTax program.

ugg . . .

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies