turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099er...Erroneous entries on SE Form

On my 2020 TurboTax return...on the printable PDF...I have two entries that seem very odd; and which I did not enter any info for (AND...they're both in a different font than the rest of the typewriter-like text/#'s...???)

The first is on Line 7 of SE Part I (Maximum amount of combined wages and self-employment earnings subject to social security tax)...listed as $377,700.

The second is Line 14 of SE Part II (Maximum income for farm optional method)...listed as $5,640.

I'm not a farmer (I'm an independent insurance inspector)...& I had no farm income whatsoever.

I'd like to figure out what these two entries mean...or if they're even legitimate...before I send this (already late) return of to the IRS.  Anyone know anything about this?

thanx in advance,

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Those amounts are pre-printed on the Schedule SE based on the Internal Revenue code.

Line 7 on Schedule SE is $137,700 which is the maximum amount of earned income subject to Social Security tax.

Line 14 on Schedule SE is $5,640 which is the maximum amount for the Optional Method to figure net earnings from farm income.

IRS Schedule SE - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sse.pdf

Ah ha...!!!

thanx much

Looking through my forms I see 

Optional Methods To Figure Net Earnings

Farm Optional Method.

I don't have a farm. My self employment is sales. I have never selected anything about a farm.

Please help before I file. It is showing on Schedule SE.

Is This correct or an error?

JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

Schedule SE is used to figure your self-employment tax, whether you operate a farm or another type of business. 

The section for Farm Optional Method, has $6,040 on line 14. This is part of the preprinted form. As long as you don't have a figure on line 15, the Farm Optional Method has not been used on your tax return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies