Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

LLC Member Death, Buyout by Another Member

I have numerous questions - even insight into a single question would be useful. I am filing a 1065 for a 4 member LLC (equal ownership %'s). One member (#1) died and another member (#2) bought out the dead member's share at FMV price. The FMV price was higher for both the rental house and gas/oil producing assets.

(1) How do I properly account 'buyout of the dead member' - [handle 'internally' within LLC] was this a contribution (from #2) to the LLC with a balancing distribution (to #1) from the LLC  or  was this a sale (by #1, with associatedCapital Gain) and then re-purchase (by #2, with associated increase in Capital Account Tax Basis) of the assets.

(2) How do I recognize the increase in FMV on the Assets balance sheet - are 100% of the LLC assets re-valued  or  do 75% stay the same value and only 25% (#1's share) get increased to FMV. But any re-valuation for the Assets throw the Partners Capital Accounts out-of-balance with Assets.

(3) I assume that the IRC Section 754 election [under 743(b) IRC Section] I report/file with the IRS will also contain related info regarding the re-valuation of assets.

(4) How do I handle the House depreciation - is 75% of the House following the old depreciation schedule and 25% (#1's share) following a new schedule [i.e. old value House depreciation for the first few months and then FMV House depreciation for the remainder of the year]. But this seems to entail Form 4797 and recognizing the Capital Gain for #1's share.

(5) The individual member K-1's numbers are no longer in sync with the default of 'member ownership % * # of days / 365' - so I need to override the default. Will this trigger Errors that will dis-allow e-filing of the return?

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Some follow-up comments:

• You will need to prepare a K-1 for member #1 from the beginning of the tax year to their DOD.  This K-1 will be used on member #1 final 1040.
  • You will then need to prepare a K-1 from DOD to when it was purchased by member #2.  This K-1 will be used by the estate when preparing the estate form 1041.
  • Only member #2 will be eligible for the Section 754 step-up; along with the Section 743 adjustment.
  • You shouldn't have to adjust the balance sheet.  The Section 754 and 743 adjustment is for tax only.  As a result, you will always have a book to tax difference.
  • While I am not on a Windows environment to see the software, you should be able to enter the time period in the member / partner information section.
  • The estate tax return will reflect a step-up to FMV, assuming an estate tax return is required.  But this step-up is not the same as the step-up for Section 754 purposes.  While the figures may be the same, two difference matters. 
*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Before we can provide some assistance, clarification is needed.

• Hopefully member #2 paid the estate of member #1 the $$ when acquiring the interest.  Please confirm.
  • When did member #2 acquire member #1 interest?
    • At date of death (DOD)
    • Or did member #1 interest go into an estate for a period of time?
  • Only member #1 proportional assets get the step-up.  This will be handled with a Section 754 election made at the entity level.  Both the entity and member #2 will need to provide documentation with the respective tax return for the information related to Section 743.
  • These type of transactions get complicated.  
  • Member #2 will just step into the shoes of member #1 internal capital.
  • The Section 743 adjustment will be allocated to the assets to step up to FMV at DOD.  Any depreciation associated with this step up is specially allocated to member #2 on their K-1.
  • The value of the assets doesn't change internally.  The only "addition" is the Section 743 adjustment noted previously.
  • No gain is recognized on this step up.  This should be handled by the appropriate tax return for member #1; most likely the estate return.
  • You shouldn't need to override any ownership percentages.  These should be changed in the member information section; and will be adjusted based on the response to bullet #1.

Thanks for your quick/thoughtful reply - obviously I've more research to do.

Responses:

- Yes, member #2 paid Estate of member #1 the $$ when acquiring interest

- Member #1's interest went into his Estate for a period of time

- Suspected that only Member #1's share got a step-up in basis as it was transferred to his Estate. I need to become more familiar with working/needs of 754 Election under Section 743(b).

- tell me about it (Re get complicated)

- Spreadsheet configured, post buyout, to add member #1's internal Capital Account to member #2's Capital Account

- see above about familiarity with 743(b) and it's affect on member #2's  K-1

- I couldn't reconcile the 1065 Balance sheet if I changed the Assets value - wondered if I missed something

- (unless I've mis-interpreted) about the Capital Gain, I was only thinking about member #1 and fully expected the Estate tax return to reflect the step-up in asset value to FMV

- Seems inconsistent with what I've experienced, not all entries fit the default of '% own * # days / 365' times annual value (e.g. depreciation certainly doesn't, but admittedly my experience with depreciation and the 743(b) adjustment needs improvement - see 3 and 6 above)

Some follow-up comments:

• You will need to prepare a K-1 for member #1 from the beginning of the tax year to their DOD.  This K-1 will be used on member #1 final 1040.
  • You will then need to prepare a K-1 from DOD to when it was purchased by member #2.  This K-1 will be used by the estate when preparing the estate form 1041.
  • Only member #2 will be eligible for the Section 754 step-up; along with the Section 743 adjustment.
  • You shouldn't have to adjust the balance sheet.  The Section 754 and 743 adjustment is for tax only.  As a result, you will always have a book to tax difference.
  • While I am not on a Windows environment to see the software, you should be able to enter the time period in the member / partner information section.
  • The estate tax return will reflect a step-up to FMV, assuming an estate tax return is required.  But this step-up is not the same as the step-up for Section 754 purposes.  While the figures may be the same, two difference matters. 

Took me awhile to get familar with the reg.s of IRC Section 743(b), but thereafter the vast majority of your reponses were dead on 😉 .

However, I needed to use 'Secial Allocations'  in TT to properly divided the income, expenses, royalties, etc between the various members of the LLC (the default division of schedule K info to the members K-1's didn't work, even with using the DOD of member #1 in the "Addl K-1 Info" Worksheet).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies