turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I bought out my partner in an LLC last year, how does that "income" get reported to my partner? Does the LLC report it on the 1065/K1 or by some other method?

My business partner and I were each 50/50 partners on an LLC until December 31st of last year.  At that point, I purchased his "shares" (LLC units) for $X and then owned the LLC 100%.

How does the $X get reported on the business or personal taxes?  I couldn't find anywhere in TurboTax (Home & Business) to report it, and I'd have to believe that it gets reported somewhere for both of us.

As well, the profit that was made last year up until the point I bought his shares would be split on our taxes as well? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If I bought out my partner in an LLC last year, how does that "income" get reported to my partner? Does the LLC report it on the 1065/K1 or by some other method?

The partnership does not report anything related to this "purchase" since it was you individually that purchased the units.

The partnership will file a final return through the date of sale.  The income  / loss will be allocated based on ownership up to the date of sale.  Make sure you indicate that this is a final return and both K-1's are marked final.  

All activity post sale transaction will be reported by you individually on your personal tax return on form Schedule C.

There are a number of issues here.  I have attached a link to an IRS revenue ruling that explains what happens in this instance. It can be fairly complicated and depending on the $$ you may want to get some assistance from a tax professional.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/rr-99-6.pdf

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
LAL5

If the partner purchased his partner at this basis, how do you report on the K1 for each partner?

Is it reported as a contribution/distribution?

I highly recommend  you seek local qualified professional assistance for a final partnership return if you are not sure of what you are doing.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies