turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm having a problem with statutory employee idk what it means or what I need to put down because its blank

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

I'm having a problem with statutory employee idk what it means or what I need to put down because its blank

If the statutory employee box on your W-2 (box 13) is not marked, do NOT mark it on your W-2 entry form.

You would probably know if you were a statutory employee.  According to the IRS:

If workers are independent contractors under the common law rules, such workers may nevertheless be treated as employees by statute (statutory employees) for certain employment tax purposes if they fall within any one of the . . . four categories and meet . . . three conditions described under  Social Security and Medicare taxes , below.

For additional information, see Statutory Employees on the IRS website.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

If the statutory employee box on your W-2 (box 13) is not marked, do NOT mark it on your W-2 entry form.

You would probably know if you were a statutory employee.  According to the IRS:

If workers are independent contractors under the common law rules, such workers may nevertheless be treated as employees by statute (statutory employees) for certain employment tax purposes if they fall within any one of the . . . four categories and meet . . . three conditions described under  Social Security and Medicare taxes , below.

For additional information, see Statutory Employees on the IRS website.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
DonMusch

The forum answers do nothing but repeat the rhetoric of the canned AI answer.

I deleted the W2, re-imported the same W2, again noting that none of our W2's had box 13 checked as statutory employee and the error message in the check sequence comes up every time. What now?

DonMusch

This prevents us from filing taxes electronically as if forces review on review on review because it says it is an error.

How about instead of importing it enter it manually?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies