Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to claim box 12b code D

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Ashby

I assume this is on your W-2. This is nothing you claim. This is the amount you contributed to your 401k. This amount reduces your taxable income.

Now, if you are trying to avoid the retirement contribution credit, you can use the following workaround:

Form 8880 is auto-generated.  It cannot simply be deleted.  To cause TurboTax to remove Form 8880 from your tax return, indicate in the Retirement savings contributions credit section that you were a full-time student.  This will have no effect on any other part of your tax return.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Ashby

I assume this is on your W-2. This is nothing you claim. This is the amount you contributed to your 401k. This amount reduces your taxable income.

Now, if you are trying to avoid the retirement contribution credit, you can use the following workaround:

Form 8880 is auto-generated.  It cannot simply be deleted.  To cause TurboTax to remove Form 8880 from your tax return, indicate in the Retirement savings contributions credit section that you were a full-time student.  This will have no effect on any other part of your tax return.

Hal_Al
Level 15

The amount in box 12, with code D, has already been excluded from the box 1 amount. There is nothing you need to do with it.
onisolid

I filed my  income tax return in April 2019 and later on May 24,2021 received from employer Form  W2-C.   A correction to Box 12a Code D indicates $495.00.   Do I need to file 1040X to amend this??

No but a change to code D should also change the wages in box 1.   You would need to amend for box 1 wages or if the change affects any Retirement Savings Credit you got.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies