Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to Claim Small Employer Auto-Enrollment Credit (Form 8881, Part II) for solo 401k

I have a solo 401k and am trying to claim the $500 auto-enrollment credit in Part II (NOT the startup costs credit in Part I). Where do you claim this in Turbotax Home & Business? The only option I see is to claim the credit for startup costs (Part I).

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

How to Claim Small Employer Auto-Enrollment Credit (Form 8881, Part II) for solo 401k

I would go into Forms Mode and pull the form up from there.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
calbear
Returning Member

On a related note/error: 

On Home & Business MacOS: On form 8881, entry of $500 entered (not by me) on Part I line 4 that I cannot remove. I am trying to claim for my solo 401k under Part II which I checked.

I can't seem to figure out how to remove the entry on Part I line 4 which appears to be the issue on why my Federal and State returns keep getting rejected. It needs to be 0. I've tried manually going into forms- won't allow. I've tried Easy Steps and trying to go under Self-retirement tab, but it will not allow any changes when clicking update.

Please help Turbo Tax. It's after 3/6/24 when it was purported to be ready. (it's not)

calbear
Returning Member

Click Forms: 8881: scroll down to Part II, Click Auto-Enroll for the $500 tax credit.

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

The default amount on Form 8881 Part I Line 4 is $500. If the amount on Line 3 is greater, then the amount on Line 4 will be increased. If the rest of Part I is left blank, the default number on Line 4 should not affect the e-filing of your return.

If this issue remains, please provide the exact text of the error/reject message you are receiving.

calbear
Returning Member

@PatriciaV F8881-002-01 - Form 8881, 'PensionPlanStartupCostsCrAmt' must have a non-zero value if an amount is entered.

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Please clarify the following:

1. You have checked the YES box on Form 8881 Part II "Was an auto-enrollment option provided for employees?"

2. A credit was reported on Schedule K-1 either from Form 1120S Box 13 Code F, G or P or Form 1065 box 15 Code F, G or P.

If the box is checked, you must have a credit from a K-1 in order to resolve the form error. Uncheck the box if a credit doesn't exist.

calbear
Returning Member

@PatriciaV 

1. Yes, part II box checked on 8881. (Claiming $500 tax credit for auto enrollment for setting up my solo 401k). No employees which is why Part I is not applicable. 

2. No schedule K. Only schedule C. Solo Proprietorship. 

Returns still getting rejected efile. Already paid $25 to Turbo Tax for CA efile so sending by snail mail isn’t really any option-unless TT will provide refund but would really prefer efile. 

Mahalo. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies