turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mbooska

How do I make my NOL carryforward balance reflect the reduction of my ex-wife's use of the NOL that we are sharing?

My ex-wife and I are sharing a NOL carryforward from a previous business loss. Turbo tax is not recognizing the reduction of the carryforward balance for my ex-wife's NOL. For example the balance is only getting reduced by my NOL of 3,000 and not the 3,000 my ex-wife used. So the beginning balance for the 2017 tax year is overstated. I assume the IRS has the correct balance but want to make sure. Thanks. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

How do I make my NOL carryforward balance reflect the reduction of my ex-wife's use of the NOL that we are sharing?

The IRS would not be adjusting the NOL for two different returns, nor  can the program adjust your NOL for amounts used on someone else's return.  If you are each filing your own returns now, it would have been best for each of you to start over with a new account and only enter the carryover that would have been used in your own return.  You will now have to enter the NOL loss amount you want to take.  You could do this by checking on the Forms icon and going to your carryover worksheet to adjust the prior year amount.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Anita01

The IRS would not be adjusting the NOL for two different returns, nor  can the program adjust your NOL for amounts used on someone else's return.  If you are each filing your own returns now, it would have been best for each of you to start over with a new account and only enter the carryover that would have been used in your own return.  You will now have to enter the NOL loss amount you want to take.  You could do this by checking on the Forms icon and going to your carryover worksheet to adjust the prior year amount.

mbooska

Ok, I'm not understanding you. How are we supposed to divide the balance among us? We are both taking the 3,000 max so the balance is getting reduced by 6,000 each tax year. We agreed that I would use the nol carryforward for 3 tax years. Should I allocate the balance to myself for this total amount (ie $18,000) and the remaining balance would go on my ex's return?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies