turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Zeller

How do I access Form 8829 or where do I enter this info. I am a full time remote employee.

I have expenses from working at home for my full time job. For 2019 where do I enter this info?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KurtL1
Expert Alumni

How do I access Form 8829 or where do I enter this info. I am a full time remote employee.

For tax years 2018 through 2025, the business use of home deduction (Form 8829) for employees is not allowed due to the suspension of the deduction for miscellaneous itemized deductions subject to the 2% AGI limit on Schedule A (Form 1040), Itemized Deductions.

Before the Tax Cuts and Job Act became law, the only way you would be able to claim the business use of home deduction, if you were an employee, would be if your employer did not provide a local office space for you to work.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Form 8829 is only used if you are self-employed and have Home Office expenses.

If you are an employee who receives a W-2 for their income, then employee business expenses, to include a home office, are not deductible on a federal tax return due to the tax code changes for years 2018 thru 2025.

noahwatkins
Returning Member

I continue to see hints that this is not true of remote, salaried employees when the employer does not provide a local office space to work from. Can you clarify this point?

KurtL1
Expert Alumni

For tax years 2018 through 2025, the business use of home deduction (Form 8829) for employees is not allowed due to the suspension of the deduction for miscellaneous itemized deductions subject to the 2% AGI limit on Schedule A (Form 1040), Itemized Deductions.

Before the Tax Cuts and Job Act became law, the only way you would be able to claim the business use of home deduction, if you were an employee, would be if your employer did not provide a local office space for you to work.

Squest

Can home office deduction be used for pass thru income from w2.

My Home Office is used for active income rental properties and property manage business.

I manage all properties and do all repairs. But real estate business does not have a profit.

So can I lower income from separate w2 employment income? If so how?  

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

If you are an employee, you cannot deduct unreimbursed employment expenses.  See above posts.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies