Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ericscave

Golf cart required and solely for 100% work use. Under new tax rules as of 2018, can I write if off as a credit or deduction? Does electric or gas matter? Thank you.

Work on installation that restricts driving in most areas, but golf carts ok.  Not provided to all and legal personal ones allowed.  Looking for method to possibly reduce cost by writing off as a work expense but don't want to purchase until i have the fine print nailed down under new tax rules as of 2018, also regarding gas vs electric.  Thanks for any help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Golf cart required and solely for 100% work use. Under new tax rules as of 2018, can I write if off as a credit or deduction? Does electric or gas matter? Thank you.

Will you be receiving a W-2 for 2018 or will you be receiving a 1099Misc?  Are you an employee or a self-employed independent contractor?  If you will be getting a W-2, you cannot deduct job-related expenses.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
ericscave

Ah got you.  I'll be getting a W-2 as a corporate contract worker.  Thanks much!

Job-related expenses have been eliminated as a deduction under the new tax laws which will be in effect when you file your 2018 return in 2019.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You said W-2, but then you also said "contract worker"  You are asking from TT Self-Employed.  Please clarify.
ericscave

I am working as a contractor for the government.  I have a company that hired me.

You can’t take any deductions for unreimbursed job expenses if you are a W-2 worker starting with 2018.  You should discuss the situation with your employer.  

If I have an investment property and I want to rent it with a golf cart and also use the golf cart on apps that people can rent it. Am I able to buy it through the business and claim a deduction?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, if it is used for business.  However, the rental of a golf cart is a personal property (not personal use), as opposed to real estate rental. The rental income of a golf card would be entered on Schedule C, as self employment. 

You can depreciate the golf cart.  If there is any personal use time, you would need to reduce the business use percentage by any personal use time (business use time/total time = business use percentage).

@Miguelfigueroa92 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies