Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 1041 question

There doesn't seem to be a clear answer so I'm hoping someone here can help me 🙂

When completing a form 1041 for an estate can I deduct the holding expenses (insurance/utilities/lawn care) of the house that was owned by the decedent while it is for sale?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Form 1041 question

You will add those expenses to the basis of the home when you report the sale of the home.

Form 1041 question

You have to be extremely cautious when adding expenses to basis since (a) an election to do so must be made, and (b) only expenses that are otherwise deductible can be added to basis.

Form 1041 question

Another issue here is whether the estate has income from which to apply any otherwise legitimate deduction(s).

If the estate has no income and this return is not the final return, the deductions for expenses would simply be lost.

Yet another issue is whether the estate can deduct the aforementioned expenses in the first instance. In order to do so, the expenses must be paid or incurred in connection with the administration of the estate that would not have been incurred if the property were not held in the estate. In other words, if a hypothetical individual could not deduct the expenses, then neither can the estate.

See Treas. Reg. §1.67-4

Form 1041 question

@GeorgeDenseff   Hmmm...haven't seen anything about that being an option.  Can you link a resource?  Thanks!

Form 1041 question

@tagteam the estate does have income but the part that is confusing me is the statement that "Expenses incurred for the management, conservation, or maintenance of property" are deductible as administration expenses.

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/other/misc-estate-abusive-tax-avoidance-transactions/misc-estate-abusive-ta...

Form 1041 question

@blw300zx wrote:

@tagteam the estate does have income but the part that is confusing me is the statement that "Expenses incurred for the management, conservation, or maintenance of property" are deductible as administration expenses.

That language (in quotes) appears in Section 212 of the Code and also in Section 20.2053-3 of the Regulations.

The language in Section 212 applies to property held for the production of income while Section 20.2053-3 applies to the estate tax (not estate income tax, as in Form 1041). With respect to the latter, the information at the link to the IRS site you posted specifically refers to the estate tax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies