Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Face_in_the_crowd
Returning Member

Can I deduct washing machine / dryer wear and tear used to clean guest's sheets, towels, etc? If so how is this expensed?

Can I deduct wear and tear on my washer and dryer as it is used to clean sheets, towels, etc after guests check out of my Airbnb guest suite? Also can I deduct a portion of my water and electric bill? Guests have their own private bedroom and bathroom -- no shared space with me. I reside in the rest of the house.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I deduct washing machine / dryer wear and tear used to clean guest's sheets, towels, etc? If so how is this expensed?

Rule of thumb I have used for years is a cost of $5 per load for washing/drying/soap that you can use as an expense. This represents the cost of going to a laundrymat in lieu of trying to take the expense any other way.... and this method has stood up to IRS audits.   If you buy cleaning products that you only use on the guest's things then those are a direct expense. 

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Rule of thumb I have used for years is a cost of $5 per load for washing/drying/soap that you can use as an expense. This represents the cost of going to a laundrymat in lieu of trying to take the expense any other way.... and this method has stood up to IRS audits.   If you buy cleaning products that you only use on the guest's things then those are a direct expense. 

Face_in_the_crowd
Returning Member

I like it! One follow up question: How is this expensed in TurboTax? As "supplies" maybe?
Carl
Level 15

Either supplies or services. But since we're talking about the use of physical product (soap) I'd expense it as a supply

Supplies would work or in the  "make your own category" I usually call "cleaning" but anything reasonable works.
Face_in_the_crowd
Returning Member

What about for water and power used by guests in their room during their stay? How do you quantify that and under what -- supplies?

Unless you have separate meters, it is hard to quantify. You can try prorating (for example) by square feet and number of days. Example:
20% of the home's square footage is rented out for 10 days a month. The total monthly utility bill for the entire home is $400.
20% x 10/30 x $400 = $26.67 per month.

Water and power are classified as Utilities.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies