Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Allocate RMD distribution to Trust not Beneficiary

We are filing a first return for a Special Needs Trust.  The trust received several RMDs from a deceased parent and taxes were withheld.  I want the Trust to take the full distribution and pay the taxes as the beneficiary. There is no money going to an individual - it is all going to the Trust. I'm using Turbotax Business and I cannot figure out how to change the allocation from 0 to a beneficiary and 100% to the Trust.  What am I missing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I am in no way certain what you are trying to accomplish, but it should be a simple matter to avoid allocating any income to the beneficiary by not making a distribution to that beneficiary (i.e., indicate that the trust did not make distributions).

Did you, by any chance, indicate that the trust was a simple trust in the General Info>>>About Your Trust or Estate section?

Thanks for the quick reply.  Yes, I set it up as a simple trust.

I also have set up 0 on the Beneficiary's Allocation worksheet on the K-1 but on the 1041 shows the entire RMD as 

Screenshot 2023-03-09 at 7.51.04 PM.png

but on the 1041 is shows 100% going to a Beneficiary not the Estate.

Screenshot 2023-03-09 at 7.54.07 PM.png

My mistake was calling it a Simple Trust.  It is a Qualified Disability Trust.  That made things right.

an important question is what does the trust say about beneficiary distributions? if required then the minimum amount must go out on the k-1 to the beneficiary.

Special Needs Trust.  No direct beneficiaries.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies