turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Schedule C: What is a qualified trade or business? What is an SSTB?

Is a self employed gerontologist (science of aging) in a qualified trade or business?

Are they an SSTB?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieR
Expert Alumni

A qualified trade or business is one that includes, most self-employed taxpayers and small business owners. It allows them to exclude up to 20% of their qualified business income from federal income tax (but not self-employment tax) whether they itemize or not.

Yes, as a self-employed individual you are a qualified trade or business and may be able to claim the Qualified Business Income deduction (also called the QBI)

Not knowing the specifics of your business as a Gerontologist, but being familiar with the general nature of individuals in your line of work, it would seem that your business is most probably classified as an SSTB.  For clarification, businesses that are classified as Specified Service Trade or Business (SSTB) include the following:

• Accounting
  • Actuarial science
  • Athletics
  • Consulting
  • Health
  • Law
  • Performing arts
  • Financial services
  • Brokerage services (including investment management and investing, trading, or dealing in securities, commodities, or partnership interests)

For more information please see the following TurboTax FAQ

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/7019998

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JulieR
Expert Alumni

A qualified trade or business is one that includes, most self-employed taxpayers and small business owners. It allows them to exclude up to 20% of their qualified business income from federal income tax (but not self-employment tax) whether they itemize or not.

Yes, as a self-employed individual you are a qualified trade or business and may be able to claim the Qualified Business Income deduction (also called the QBI)

Not knowing the specifics of your business as a Gerontologist, but being familiar with the general nature of individuals in your line of work, it would seem that your business is most probably classified as an SSTB.  For clarification, businesses that are classified as Specified Service Trade or Business (SSTB) include the following:

• Accounting
  • Actuarial science
  • Athletics
  • Consulting
  • Health
  • Law
  • Performing arts
  • Financial services
  • Brokerage services (including investment management and investing, trading, or dealing in securities, commodities, or partnership interests)

For more information please see the following TurboTax FAQ

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/7019998

I get some QBI deduction for 2020 as a result of REIT income. However, I am also self-employed and file a Schedule C with net income of about $6000. It's not an SSB enterprise; I'm a free-lance writer. Yet my Schedule C income does not translate to form 8995 or 8995A.

Yet my taxable income is over the minimum amount ($163K or thereabouts) yet under the maximum amount permitted. No "data source" is shown for these entries. Why doesn't the software make this happen? I now see that the same thing applies to my 2019 tax return, so I should be filing an amended return for that year. (For 2019, TurboTax filled out a form 8995.)

I can over-ride the blank, of course, but that means I must file by mail.

Please help!

Never mind! I've figured it out. The deductibles for half of FICA and self-employed health insurance exceed the Sch C income. Sorry!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies