Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1099-MISC or 1099-NEC?

I think the answer is no, but I will confirm.  I do know that this 1099NEC income is not farm related though.

Thanks

1099-MISC or 1099-NEC?

I had this same issue. My client gave me a 1099-NEC form this year instead of the 1099-MISC and saw somewhere online that if they fill out the nonemployee compensation on the 1099-MISC only, then this form is the same (1099-NEC). I think they need to update what that says

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

1099-MISC or 1099-NEC?

For tax year 2020 and forward, the 1099-NEC has been resurrected to replace the 1099-MISC to report Non-Employee Compensation. 

As the recipient, you would treat this and report this form as you had the 1099-MISC in years past. It will be reported as Self-Employment income. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

1099-MISC or 1099-NEC?

Hi, Can someone help. I entered the amount for my 1099-NEC for UBER. There are no amounts on form from boxes 2-7. It wont let me file because of this. What do I do?

JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

1099-MISC or 1099-NEC?

There are no requirements for entries in these boxes. 

Verify the Payer's Federal ID number is filled in. 

Save your return and reopen.  If the problem persists, you can try deleting the Form 1099-NEC and re-adding it.  

rvcaccam

1099-MISC or 1099-NEC?

My 1099-MISC is showing "OTHER INCOME" under Block 3. Should I be entering this in TurboTax under the 1099-NEC Block 1? 

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

1099-MISC or 1099-NEC?

No. Form 1099-MISC income entered in Box 3 is "Other Income." This category is not subject to self-employment tax.

Entering it under Form 1099-NEC Box 1 would make it subject to self-employment tax.

To enter Form  1099-MISC in TurboTax, follow these steps:

1. From the left menu, go to Federal and select the first tab, Wages & Income.
  2. Add more income by scrolling down to the last option, Other Common Income, and Show more.
  3. Scroll down to Form 1099-MISC and Start.

For more details, see: Where do I enter a 1099-MISC?

1099-MISC or 1099-NEC?

Can I fill out an 1099 NEC  & 1099 Misc here to submit to IRS?

1099-MISC or 1099-NEC?

To create 1099 forms you use Intuit's Quick Employer Forms.  You must be using either TurboTax Desktop Home and Business or Online Self-Employed.  If using Self-Employed, you must pay for the software before you will be able to access the Quick Employee Forms.

Quick Employee Forms will create W-2 and 1099 forms online, and automatically e-file the forms directly to the SSA and IRS.

In 2020, the IRS reintroduced Form 1099-NEC which takes the place of Box 7 on 1099-MISC.

1099-MISC or 1099-NEC?

ThomasM125

I dont think rental income from a second home is considered a business and Form 1099-NEC is for business to business transactions (A Rental BUSINESS) as I understand it. Yet I don't think it's a critical issue. The IRS might accept either one. Report amounts on 1099-Misc line 3 is how I read it.

If it's investment property then Form 1099-NEC (?)

I'm not a tax professional

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

1099-MISC or 1099-NEC?

Any income received for a rental would be considered a business. When you say 2nd home, if you mean it also has personal use, this is still true.

Form 1099-NEC is for income received as an independent contractor or self-employed entity and Form 1099-MISC is for income that will not be subject to self-employment tax, that is correct.

When a 2nd home has personal and rental use, the rental portion is reported in a separate section if it was rented for more than 14 days. The corresponding percentage of the home expenses can be deducted here.

To do this in TurboTax, in the search box, enter rentals and click the Jump to link.

For more information, see: Does a 1099-NEC or 1099-MISC mean I'm self-employed?

Where do I enter income and expenses from a rental property?

1099-MISC or 1099-NEC?

I'll take your word for it because it kinda makes sense but the IRS instructions give only an example of you having multiple units as being a business. Wording is everything and too often the wording is ambiguous even when a team of professionals are trying to come up with the wording.

irene 42

1099-MISC or 1099-NEC?

Does teaching maintenance and assisting count as self employment.  I have a 1099-NEC

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

1099-MISC or 1099-NEC?

Yes. This is for non-employee compensation.  You will enter this as self employment income.  You will need to file a Schedule C and pay SE taxes.  You may also enter any expenses related to your work to reduce your income. 

  

To file a Schedule C, here are the steps: 

1. Sign in to your account and select Pick up where you left off 

2. At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in schedule C and Enter  

3. Select Jump to schedule C  

4. Follow prompts, you might be prompted to an upgrade if you have expenses 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

1099-MISC or 1099-NEC?

Received 1099-NEC for services rendered after I sold my business last year. Unable to add the 10K number in the earnings line.  Amount will not affect my taxes but form went to IRS

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies