Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mrmill25

Your tax return is still being processed

Is it true that "Your tax return is still being processed" means your return has not been received by the IRS? My 2019 Federal return was submitted and accepted on 4/1/2020. I owed taxes and set it up when I submitted my return through Turbotax that the taxes owed would be paid via auto debit on 4/15/20. My IRS Account Transcript shows that my payment was received. My IRS Return Transcript shows "No record of return filed". I have not received an economic stimulus payment and regularly check the IRS Where's my Refund page to check the status of my return. It always indicates that "Your tax return is still being processed". I have not received any letters from the IRS. I ordered a Return and Account transcript and want to confirm with TurboTax that my return was processed, submitted and accepted on 4/1/2020 before I call the IRS.  Is the email that I received from TurboTax indicating that my return was accepted on 4/1/20 confirmation that the IRS received it?  Is it potentially problematic on the IRS' part that I opted to pay the taxes I owed on 4/15 instead of on the day that I submitted my return?   

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

If you had a tax due why are you looking on the IRS Where's my refund page?  It can't be both.

For Online version Returns You can check your efile status here     

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/   

To check in the Desktop program open your return and go up to menu item

File > Electronic Filing > Check Electronic Filing Status

You will not find any information about your tax return on the IRS refund site if you owed federal tax.  That site only displays information about returns that are getting a refund.   You say you owed tax and set up auto debit.  Your only proof of payment will be your own bank/credit card records showing the payment  being taken from your account.  TurboTax never knows how, when or even if you paid your tax due.  The only thing you can find out here is whether your e-file was accepted or rejected.  After your return has been accepted, the rest is up to the IRS.

The IRS can look at your 2018 or 2019 return to issue a stimulus check.  If they do not have a 2018 return then you may be waiting for them to finish processing 2019 before they will be able to use it to issue your stimulus check.

TurboTax has no control over your stimulus check, nor can TT track it for you or tell you when the IRS will issue it. Refer to the sites linked below:

You can call the IRS hotline at 1-800-919-9835 to get updates on your stimulus payment.  

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center#nonfilertool

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment-frequently-asked-questions

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-will-the-stimulus-package-impact-me/00/1393859

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

In normal times ... even though the payment was initiated and completed by the IRS already  (meaning they have accepted the return for processing)  the actual processing of balance due returns are not done until after the tax season has closed (which was 7/15/2020 this year due to the covid situation) because returns with refunds get priority.  But this is not a normal year and processing is taking much longer this year due to the covid staffing shortages.  Until the return has processed it may not show on the transcripts and that is OK.  Unless they disagree with your filing and send you a notice in the mail you can assume everything is fine.  

mrmill25

I understand what you're telling me and was using the Where's My Refund page because I read somewhere that if you want to know the status of your current return, even if you aren't owed a refund, you enter your data and indicate a refund amount of $1.  

I did check the status of my efile via the link you provided, and it shows that my return was accepted on 4/1/2020.

Thanks for your help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies