turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ShinoP

What form grandparents need to claim grandchildren?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LeeM

Your parents do not need a form to file your children as dependents. However, your children must meet certain requirements as listed below (including that no one else can claim them):

A qualifying dependent meets all six of the following conditions:

• Relationship: The person is your child, foster child, adopted child, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister or a descendent of one of these (for example, grandchild, niece or nephew).
  • Residence: The person lives in your home for more than half the year. If he or she is temporarily absent, that still counts as time living in your home. A temporary absence could be time spent at college or boarding school, or time away for medical care, military service or juvenile detention. Different guidelines apply for children of divorced or separated parents.
  • Age: The person is age 18 or under at the end of 2015, or a full-time student age 23 or under. If the person is disabled, there is no age limit.
  • Support: The person doesn’t provide more than half of his or her own support.
  • Nationality: The person is a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, U.S. national, or a resident of Canada or Mexico. An adopted child who doesn’t meet this requirement but lives with you for the entire year can be your dependent, as long as you’re a U.S. citizen.
  • Marital status: Generally, a married dependent can’t file a joint tax return with a spouse. The only exception is when the married dependent files a joint return only to get a refund of taxes paid (no tax credits are received) and, if separate returns are filed, neither the dependent nor spouse would have a tax liability.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Are you saying I can't claim my 3 grandkids? I have fully supported them for all of 2018. They have lived with me all year.

@applepie12? You are posting your new question to someone else's 3 year old thread.  Please start your own new question in your OWN thread, and tell us your own situation.  The short answer is going to be you need taxable earned income in order to claim the kids and get any child-related credits, though.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

They meet all the requirements.

They meet all the requirements.

@applepie12?   Do YOU have taxable income earned from working?  What is your source of income?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
LeeM

Your parents do not need a form to file your children as dependents. However, your children must meet certain requirements as listed below (including that no one else can claim them):

A qualifying dependent meets all six of the following conditions:

• Relationship: The person is your child, foster child, adopted child, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister or a descendent of one of these (for example, grandchild, niece or nephew).
  • Residence: The person lives in your home for more than half the year. If he or she is temporarily absent, that still counts as time living in your home. A temporary absence could be time spent at college or boarding school, or time away for medical care, military service or juvenile detention. Different guidelines apply for children of divorced or separated parents.
  • Age: The person is age 18 or under at the end of 2015, or a full-time student age 23 or under. If the person is disabled, there is no age limit.
  • Support: The person doesn’t provide more than half of his or her own support.
  • Nationality: The person is a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, U.S. national, or a resident of Canada or Mexico. An adopted child who doesn’t meet this requirement but lives with you for the entire year can be your dependent, as long as you’re a U.S. citizen.
  • Marital status: Generally, a married dependent can’t file a joint tax return with a spouse. The only exception is when the married dependent files a joint return only to get a refund of taxes paid (no tax credits are received) and, if separate returns are filed, neither the dependent nor spouse would have a tax liability.
ShinoP

Thank you
Roy Mast

MY grandaughter only worked part time the first 3 months of 2019 and made less than $1300.00 and her husband abused her AND HE WAS ARRESTED AND SHE HAD TO LEAVE HIM and her W-2 went to his address and she did not get them. Can you get this information from IRS so I can file her 2019 tax return. We need to do this to get her stimulus money. Please reply since I have already paid for Turbo tax to be sent to me online. I have not received a confirmation of this purchase today. PLEASE RESPOND IMMEDIATELY AND GIVE ME THE PROPER FORM TO FILE.   ROY MAST

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

You can request a wage transcript of your 2019 wages from the IRS. You can request your transcript online at the following link: Get Transcript 

Or simply call the employers and have them give you a copy.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies