Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing taxes after having a new baby with no social security card

I had a baby in December 2015.  I am currently stationed overseas and we already submitted the paperwork to get her passport.  But until we get her passport we cannot apply for a social security card.  Over here it is said to take 13+ weeks to receive the social security card once you have submitted your application.  Which means that we will not have her social security card by the cut off date for taxes.  Should we file now and later file an amendment? or how should I go about filing?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

I suggest you file for an extension, giving you until October to file and wait for the SS#. You will be able to claim the child tax credit. The 6 month rule does not apply to newborns. Filing without the child and doing an amendment later would be OK

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Vero84

Your actually not suppose to claim the child tax credit for a new born. The child is suppose to have been with you for at least 6 month. I may be wrong but call the irs or turbotax and ask.
heartwarr

I had twins December 16, 2003. They were claimed on our 2003 tax return, which we had prepared by a tax professional.  I would call a tax professional and ask what you should do about the social security number, but I'm certain you may claim any child born/adopted in any portion of the tax year.  Congratulations on your new baby! 

Exactly - even if your child was born on 12/31, you can take advantage of the $4k+ child tax credit.  Call social security office and ask what you can do otherwise try to get your child's ITIN.
Hal_Al
Level 15

I suggest you file for an extension, giving you until October to file and wait for the SS#. You will be able to claim the child tax credit. The 6 month rule does not apply to newborns. Filing without the child and doing an amendment later would be OK
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies