Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mrzkoko3

I mailed in my tax return to the wrong internal revenue service what happens now?

I sent my tax return to the wrong internal revenue service what happens now ?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

30 Replies
nyinyeb

I mailed in my tax return to the wrong internal revenue service what happens now?

You will be fine and your return will be mailed in on-time if postmarked before the filing deadline.

According to the IRS:

Mailing an income tax return to the wrong Internal Revenue Service Center or otherwise misaddressing the return could delay the processing of the return and any refund.

So if you mail it to the wrong address, it slows things down, but there's no penalty. It will be forwarded to the right address.

More details can be found here https://www.irs.gov/irb/2007-15_IRB/ar09.html

nyinyeb

You will be fine and your return will be mailed in on-time if postmarked before the filing deadline.

According to the IRS:

Mailing an income tax return to the wrong Internal Revenue Service Center or otherwise misaddressing the return could delay the processing of the return and any refund.

So if you mail it to the wrong address, it slows things down, but there's no penalty. It will be forwarded to the right address.

More details can be found here https://www.irs.gov/irb/2007-15_IRB/ar09.html

richarr

The other replies don't make sense to me.  I'm in your same boat.  I owed $ to NYS.  I did everything online, on time (in April).  Paying online, was auto-offered use one of their  convenient apps.  Of the diff options, I chose Pay1040.  4-5 months later, NY State mails me, asking where their money is.  What?!! Turns out Pay1040 is ONLY for Federal - not State.  NYS phone rep said past due fees would begin to incur, and I could write Fed Gov to refund ME the $500+ I'd paid them by mistake (since it 'wasn't their problem I paid the wrong entity).  So no - you won't be "fine".  You may start to incur interest fees due on what they consider your 'late payment'. Check into it.

The other replies were about where to mail your actual 1040 federal tax return.  Not your tax due payment.

You might need to contact the Taxpayer Advocate

https://www.irs.gov/advocate/local-taxpayer-advocate

richarr

Thanks for the tip & correction.  I'm on it.

I mailed my tax return to the wrong IRS address & the one in Phoenix says they didn't mail it to the right one. Do I re mail it & if so, will there be any penalties?

can you tell me where the link is supposed to go? It doesn't go to anything relating to this thread.

This is a new forum layout. Some posts that have June 2019 dates are really older posts from the old forum that got moved over. So they might be for prior years and not current info. When they migrated over the dates got changed to June 2019. And the screen shots got deleted. 

What is your current question?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

@limas14  Can you please clarify, what link are you referring to?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

this link that was in the original response

https://www.irs.gov/irb/2007-15 IRB/ar09.html

I had to mail my 2019 Return in July when turbo tax couldn't get the electronic return to go through. so I printed off the "mail my return" option which gave me the address to send it to and I mailed my return and my payment together. The check went through my account, but now the SBA is saying that my 2019 return has never been filed with the IRS. 

I went into my account on the IRS website and there is a letter from the IRS confirming that they never got my return. Where do I go from here? Obviously Turbo Tax gave me the wrong address or something?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

The original thread is from 2019, do you have a specific question we can assist you with?

@limas14

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

They might not be finished processing 2019 yet.  They were closed for a few months for Covid-19 and got way behind processing mailed returns.  If they cashed your check your return is in there somewhere.  

Yes, it appears that Turbo Tax gave me the wrong address to mail my 2019 return to which was:

IRS 

PO Box 37008

Hartford, ct [social security number removed]

I just looked it up on the IRS website and they have a completely different address in Kentucky.

Now the SBA  will not approve my PPP loan because they are saying that I never filed a return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies