Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ceci1108

Do I have to file taxes if I am a full time student with only a $2.00 refund amount

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I have to file taxes if I am a full time student with only a $2.00 refund amount

You MUST file if your income is more than $10,350 and you are single and not a dependent, or more than $6300 and you are single and someone else's dependent.  There are other limits for different filing statuses, and your state may have different limits as well.  See the link provided above.

The IRS does not necessarily know that you are only due a $2 refund.  If you do not file, they will create a substitute tax return in their system using information sent to them by banks and employers.  But, they are not obliged to give you credit for any deductions, credits or dependents, so the substitute return could very well show you owing tax, which they will bill you for.

The real purpose of a tax return is to get all your income and deductions on official record.  Whether you get a refund or not is almost a side-effect.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You MUST file if your income is more than $10,350 and you are single and not a dependent, or more than $6300 and you are single and someone else's dependent.  There are other limits for different filing statuses, and your state may have different limits as well.  See the link provided above.

The IRS does not necessarily know that you are only due a $2 refund.  If you do not file, they will create a substitute tax return in their system using information sent to them by banks and employers.  But, they are not obliged to give you credit for any deductions, credits or dependents, so the substitute return could very well show you owing tax, which they will bill you for.

The real purpose of a tax return is to get all your income and deductions on official record.  Whether you get a refund or not is almost a side-effect.

You do not have to file.  The iRS will be ok with keeping your $2.00.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Are you being claimed as a dependent?  Did you earn over $6300 in 2016?
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/uac/do-i-need-to-file-a-tax-return">https://www.irs.gov/uac/do-i-need-to-file-a-...>
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies