turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to file a specific form with my 2017 tax return if I repaid in full my 2008 homebuyer credit with my 2016 tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaR

Do I need to file a specific form with my 2017 tax return if I repaid in full my 2008 homebuyer credit with my 2016 tax return?

You do not need to file a specific form if you have fully repaid the 2008 First-Time Homebuyer Credit.  However, some customers receive a rejection of their tax return for not including the repayment when it has been paid in full.  The IRS may not have properly updated its records and believes (based on their info) that Form 5405 with a payment is due for 2017. 

You can look up your account at this link to see if the IRS is showing any balance:  https://www.irs.gov/individuals/first-time-homebuyer-credit-account-look-up

If you receive a rejection or if you see a balance due in the link above, you will need to paper file your return this year.  Attach a copy of your return for the year the credit was repaid, to show that you properly filed in that year Additionally, you will need to contact the IRS directly to have them correct their records so you don't encounter this same issue next year.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PatriciaR

You do not need to file a specific form if you have fully repaid the 2008 First-Time Homebuyer Credit.  However, some customers receive a rejection of their tax return for not including the repayment when it has been paid in full.  The IRS may not have properly updated its records and believes (based on their info) that Form 5405 with a payment is due for 2017. 

You can look up your account at this link to see if the IRS is showing any balance:  https://www.irs.gov/individuals/first-time-homebuyer-credit-account-look-up

If you receive a rejection or if you see a balance due in the link above, you will need to paper file your return this year.  Attach a copy of your return for the year the credit was repaid, to show that you properly filed in that year Additionally, you will need to contact the IRS directly to have them correct their records so you don't encounter this same issue next year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies