turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm trying tofile and wait for my amount due letter from the IRS in the mail but TurboTax won't even let me file without selecting a payment method

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

I'm trying tofile and wait for my amount due letter from the IRS in the mail but TurboTax won't even let me file without selecting a payment method

You do have to indicate how you will pay for your tax. You're required to pay for your tax by 04/18/2017.  You can choose to pay by check, or you can even request an installment plan. See the screenshot below. If you don't pay by the due date, eventually the IRS will send you a bill, but that will come after the due date, and you will have a penalty for failure to pay. 

If you choose to pay by check, it's your responsibility to pay by the due date, so if you choose to wait and miss the deadline, you can do that, but you must choose a payment method to file.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

You do have to indicate how you will pay for your tax. You're required to pay for your tax by 04/18/2017.  You can choose to pay by check, or you can even request an installment plan. See the screenshot below. If you don't pay by the due date, eventually the IRS will send you a bill, but that will come after the due date, and you will have a penalty for failure to pay. 

If you choose to pay by check, it's your responsibility to pay by the due date, so if you choose to wait and miss the deadline, you can do that, but you must choose a payment method to file.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies