Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is my federal return still say processing when I filed back in February 2020?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

21 Replies
Jcr330601

Why is my federal return still say processing when I filed back in February 2020?

I efiled my 2019 tax return with Turbo tax and In calling your office I was told the 

IRS rejected my return. something about the AGI for my wife.  I need some help 

on how to refile my taxes,

Jcr330601

I filed my 2019 tax through Turbo Tax and IN calling your office, I was told that the 

Irs rejected my return. Something to do with the AGi.  I need some help on how to 

fix the return and refile by efile/  My phone # is [phone number removed]

Jcr330601

I efiled my  2019 tax return through turbo tax and upon calling your office, I was 

told that the IRS rejected by efile , however they did not notify me as such.  I need

some help to figure out what to do and how to refile by efile.

My name is Wayne  and my phone # is [phone number removed]

@Jcr330601 wrote:

I filed my 2019 tax through Turbo Tax and IN calling your office, I was told that the 

Irs rejected my return. Something to do with the AGi.  I need some help on how to 

fix the return and refile by efile/  My phone # is [phone number removed]

The 2018 AGI is on the 2018 Federal tax return you filed Form 1040 Line 7

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/how-do-i-find-last-year-s-agi/01/25947

To access your current or prior year tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on View adjusted gross income (AGI)

Or go to this IRS website for free federal tax return transcripts - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

If your tax return continues to be rejected with the 2018 AGI then enter a 0 (zero) for the AGI and e-file again.

If this is also rejected then you will have to print and mail the tax return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for printing a tax return for mailing - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

??

ann6161
Returning Member

I filed my 2018,2019 thru Turbo Taxes. I corrected the items needed. Not sure if the IRS received them. They sent me a schedule date to pay my federal taxes. Does this mean they got my tax returns?

Let me know

Thanks

Ann Moore

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

@ann6161: This likely means that your return was received. To double check, you can always contact the IRS at 800 829 1040 when they resume normal operations. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
bob mc
Returning Member

I left off the last character in the bank acct # for the refund filing on the Federal.   I did the same with the State but I got my refund through the mail.  The federal has had my taxes by mid March but nothing has happened.   I wouldn"t mind if I got a return by mail to deposit.   I can't seem to connect with anyone that can help even after a 2 hour wait on the phone..   Can I refile a corrected return even with a previous one still in processing.. Can I get the IRS to mail me the refund to deposit.  Who can help me get out of this mess  thanks   Bob McCarthy

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

@bob mc

You must not refile another tax return as it would cause confusion and further delay your refund.

The IRS will automatically send you a paper check if the direct deposit is rejected by your bank.

Once your return has been accepted by the IRS, the refund process is completely under the control of the IRS. The IRS says that most refunds would be issued within 21 days. But some returns need more processing and refunds will take longer, especially during these Covid-19 times when some IRS agents still work remotely.

Please read this IRS FAQ for more information.

Please be patient, the situation will get better soon as some IRS agents are returning to their desks. You can check the status of your refund at this IRS web portal.

excubo79

I have not received my federal income tax return.  I was told it was accepted but is still being processed.  I filed in February.  

I have the same experience. I mailed paper returns for both Federal and State of Oregon taxes on February 25, 2020, choosing checks for  both refunds. the State of Oregon refund came back in 3 weeks. On the IRS site, the "Where's my refund" link continues to say that my return is "being processed".Elsewhere in the site, there is a message flag that says that no paper returns will be processed because of COVID-19. How do I escape this catch 22? Can I now electronically file requesting direct deposit? If I can, would I use an amended return, changing only the refund method? HELP!!

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Do not efile after paper filing.  This will cause additional delays.

The online link is your best option to track your refund.  I have attached a link with more answers from the IRS as to why your refund may be taking longer to process.

Federal refund questions

There is a delay in processing the returns as the IRS is not processing anything paper at the moment due to Covid-19 and social distancing policies in effect.  

IRS operations

Jmontes02
Returning Member

I filed my taxes in Jan and its still saying processing. I had to send insurance verification which I did at the end of Feb or beginning of March. Still nothing 

@ Jmontes02  wrote:

I filed my taxes in Jan and its still saying processing. I had to send insurance verification which I did at the end of Feb or beginning of March. Still nothing 

Anything requiring paperwork and manual processing has been markedly affected at the IRS due to the Coronavirus pandemic and limited number of IRS personnel the last several weeks.

Here's how to reach the IRS, but it may not be easy.   Due to the Coronavirus situation, part of it is luck.  Some of the IRS call centers are closed, some are operating with reduced personnel, some are gradually opening back up.  Some users have reported that they have finally reached someone.   Here is the normal method to reach an IRS live agent when they are operating smoothly, and I'll also tell you how to reach the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service.

IRS:  800-829-1040 (7AM-7 PM local time) Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do not choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

• First choose your language.  Then listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • Then press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions." 
  • It may then ask for your SSN, but do not enter it.  Just wait.    If it asks for SSN a second time, still do not enter it.
  • Then it will get "tired", and you'll get another menu.  Choose 2 for "personal".
  • Then in the next menu choose 4 for "all other inquiries", and it should transfer you to an agent but expect a long wait.
  • I usually use a speakerphone so I can work on something else while waiting.

If you continue to have no luck reaching the IRS, you can try contacting the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service for your area.   They are still taking phone calls in most states.  They are especially prone to help if you have an economic hardship, or if there have been continued delays with lack of info from the IRS.    At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your IRS Taxpayer Advocate.   If the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service won't/can't help you, ask them to transfer you to an IRS agent.  Some have reported that was a backdoor route for them to reach someone at the IRS.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Also see this article for more info on how the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service works::
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies