Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Why is my colorado state still pending

Well... That says it all.

After Turbotax loads

Go to File upper left corner

ELECTRONIC FILING

SHOW Electronic Filing Status History 

Hope this helps everyone 

Just posted how to look at the timestamp if you filed on a PC

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Colorado has advised taxpayers to give 2 weeks from the 12th before they start checking the status of their refund.  They have a backlog due to so many people filing returns prior to them being prepared to accept the returns.  Colorado State Tax Return Delay  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I filed on the 1st and as of February 18th, it’s still showing as pending!!! This is the second year in a row… so frasturating 

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

You will need to give the state of CO until February 26th to acknowledge receipt of your return.  It does not matter when you filed, since they did not open to accept returns until the 12th of February. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It would be helpful if TT would at least indicate t h at some CO returns have been accepted and moved from pending. Time stamp and pending status doesn't really provide any useful information.

I can't be the only one that thinks it's funny that every year, they are like "Yeah we uh...weren't ready to handle the thing that happens every year. We get that most of you are diligent about your responsibility around this thing that happens every year but we have zero accountability so...next year expect nothing to change."

@Salsashark It has been a CO issue.  The state of CO did not start accepting e-files until Monday, February 12.  So millions of e-files have been waiting on servers for CO to start pulling them.   Sorry---- you have been waiting for your state.  Keep watching your emails for a message regarding the acceptance or rejection soon.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I get it's a Colorado issue. That's my point. It's just a "you have to laugh at it thing" because I don't understand how this always seems like it's the first time they are hearing about tax time every year with they way they handle it.

Actually, it does matter when you filed, because the claim is being made that Colorado is accepting returns on a first-in, first-out basis. The total population of the state is not quite 6 million residents, and, while I cannot find statistics about how many state tax returns are filed here each year, it would be reasonable based on family units to estimate that it is no more than a couple of million total throughout the entire tax season. Looking at federal filing statistics, no more than 10% of all taxpayers file returns as early as February 3rd, so we can extrapolate that no more than about 200,000 have already filed in Colorado by that date, give or take a few thousand. Also based on federal statistics, about 35% of returns are E-filing returns received from self-prepared, so, about 70,000 Coloradans have used tax preparation software to file their returns, of which TurboTax makes up some unknown proportion of that total. If Colorado started accepting returns on February 12th, and accepted (not fully processed) as many as 15,000 returns per day, then they should have at least initially accepted all of the returns filed by 2/3/2024, which TurboTax says they have not. (My estimate of accepting at least 15,000 returns per day is conservative, because, at that rate, it would take the state 133 days to simply accept 2 million individual tax returns, which seems unreasonable, given that would push the process into the summer, well past the filing deadline.) There is a bottleneck of unknown origin in the pipeline, and that is all we know for sure. Colorado says that the return I electronically transmitted through TurboTax on 2/2/2024 has not been filed at all, and that is what I'm concerned about.

• Mine shows pending since 2/13 yet a friend just filed and it showed accepted right away 

The population of Colorado is less than 6 million residents, which should generate no more than 2-3 million state returns throughout the entire filing season. Federal statistics show that only about 10% of taxpayers file returns as early as the first week of February, so the supposed state backlog should total no more than whatever percentage of that two to three hundred thousand returns were prepared and filed electronically by individuals, which federal statistics indicate should be around 35%, yielding about 70,000. If Colorado really needs weeks to simply accept (not fully process, which is something else altogether) 70,000 electronic returns, then it would be unable to get through its 2-3 million total returns until months after the filing date. That does not seem reasonable, and it is not a rational explanation for the current delay in accepting returns.

That is exactly what I'm concerned about. I think it is possible that the actual bottleneck has something to do with TurboTax's transmission system rather than Colorado's acceptance system. Their system is very opaque, so there's no way to verify that theory one way or the other, but I think it's at least a reasonable suspicion. I'm assuming your friend is also in Colorado, correct?

This is why I wish TT would provide some transparency to those that filed early that yes they can see that CO has started processing/accepting TT filed returns. The TT responses have been vague and not very informative or helpful. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies