Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Why are you charging $39.99 refund processing fee?

i believe what you are talking about is called Direct Debit. If you owe taxes, you can have the money taken out of your account by Direct Debit. You would not have gotten the option to Pay with Refund, the system would not populate that for you. You can always go into your account and view your return, or your order details to give you more information

*REMEMBER DIRECT DEBIT IS ONLY FOR YOUR FEDERAL RETURN, IF YOU OWE YOUR STATE YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY THEM SEPERATELY, SINCE EACH STATE HAS DIFFERENT SYSTEMS TO PAY.*

@rbrownpreston 

If you bought the CD from the store why are you paying again for the Online program?   

The CD you have may or may not have the state program included...  if it was not included the state program is an extra fee and the efiling of the state another fee  AND  if you have those fees withheld from your federal refund that is another fee.   Many states allow you to file for free thru their web sites so try that first.  

@rbrownpreston

We see people get confused and they keep logging in to online software which will require them to pay at the end.   You need to use the desktop software.   One way to tell if you are using the right software---your tool bar.   Online software has the toolbar in a black vertical column on the left side of the screen.   Desktop software has the tools up on the top of your TT screen.

If you are using online, you are using the wrong program.  You need to switch to the desktop software to get what you paid for.  You have to download it, update it and open it up from your own hard drive to use it.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I'm in the same boat, this company is never going to answer us straight. They blame it on third party BS company. If there's no refund that is due, why the hell are we paying $40 for $0 refund!!! 

The TT fees are for the use of the program even if you are getting no refund.   If you had a refund and requested the TT fees to be withheld from said refund  but the IRS will not be sending a refund then you still need to pay the TT fees.  The extra refund processing fee will not be accessed since you did not use the processing service. 

See What if the IRS reduces your refund or delays it.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/payments/help/what-if-my-federal-refund-isn-t-enough-to-cover-my-t...

Then when the IRS does send your refund they won't take the fees out again.

And, Why you got charged,

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/why-was-my-bank-account-auto-debited-for-tur...

You should have received about 4 emails asking for the fees.  If you don't pay they will debit your account.  You had to agree to it.

pricerk

ABSOLUTELY TOTALLY BOGUS CHARGE. INTUIT SHOULD BE SUED FOR EVEN HAVING THIS AS AN OPTION. NEVERMIND THAT IT MENTIONS IT AS AN OPTION - THAT IS TOTALLY UNCLEAR. I ALREADY PAID FOR MY COPY OF TURBOTAX - THERE SHOULD NOT BE ANY ADDITIONAL CHARGE FOR FILING AND GETTIN A REFUND.   PERIOD!

I HOPE THE GOVERNMENT SUES TT FOR THIS. IT FALLS UNDER THE HIDDEN FEES THAT BUSINESSES CHARGE THAT ARE NOT PART OF THE ORIGINAL COST OF THE PRODUCT - LIKE BAGGAGE FEES, CONCET FEES, ETC.

Even the disclosure agreement is unclear!!!!!!!!!!!

Enough to make me switch from TT. I have used TT since it came out (as well as Quicken). They have gone overboard with their charging, renewals, subscriptions, fees, etc. Even service is no use anymore.

pricerk

I have to be a lawyer to understand the fees to file. I looked at the consent form and it was still unclear.

1. i have a desktop version - deluxe.

2. i have never paid a federal fee before.

3. i tried to decline. i had to pay the fee!!!!!!! it is NOT clear that if i use a credit card, there is no fee.

4. i am getting a refund.

5. there should be no reason to pay for anything, and thus no reason for credit card information

6. ENTIRELY FALSE STATEMENTS to get you to pay a fee. Intuit should be sued, and at a minimum be fined everything they are getting from the third party.  They ARE OBVIOUSLY GETTING PAID a lot of money to make the false claims.

7. it is NOT anywhere near OBVIOUS that the fee is OPTIONAL!!!!!!

TOTALLY,  ABSOLUTELY  MISLEADING!

@pricerk You did not notice this screen when you were in the File section of the desktop program??

Pay with Refund TTD.JPG

@pricerk   In the Desktop program there is no fee to efile a federal return.  There is a $25 fee (20 early before March 1) to efile a state return except NY is free.  Maybe you accidentally added another service like Max or Audit Defense.  

pricerk

That is absolutely not clear that if i give TT a credit card number that i will not be charged a fee!!!

pricerk

i also did not add another service. The implication is that it makes no difference whether i use my credit card or deduct fees from my refund!!!!! Total dishonesty by TT.

pricerk

I am getting a refund. There is absolutely no reason in the world to even mention a processing fee for federal, much less charge me a fee. And TT should know i am getting a refund.

ee-ea
Level 15

I'm still confused.  EVERY time (literally) that I have used TurboTax, I have paid for a desktop version, first for a CD and the past few years it's been a code to download the product.  I've never used the website nor have I ever used the free TurboTax online.  This year, I paid $40 for the TurboTax desktop.  I never saw an option to e-file my federal taxes for free.  I live in a state that has no state income tax, so there was no state return to file. IIRC, every year before last year I was able to file for free with TurboTax desktop.  But this year, for example, I had to pay a fee, either with a credit card or by the refund processing fee out of my refund.  However, when my son filed his return (also for a refund), he was able to e-file his federal return for free without ever getting the screen that I got with the "pay now either with a credit card or out of the refund."

Please explain how this is the case.  I already paid $40 for TurboTax.  Why do I have to pay ANYTHING AT ALL (either with cc or otherwise) to e-file a federal return?

I saw your post but I was charged to e-file my federal return with the desktop version.  I was never given the choice to e-file without some kind of charge, either on a credit card or by taking it from my refund.  Yes, I was using the desktop version and no, it wasn't a free version.  I paid $40 for the desktop version.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies